This Strawberry Scones recipe is truly foolproof. This easy scone recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably have in the pantry.
Enjoy one of these sweet strawberry bakery scones with mug of warm chamomile tea to wind down your day or enjoy with your morning coffee to start your day. Perfectly balanced with the buttery, flakey scone texture paired with fresh strawberries and a sweet vanilla glaze, these scones will not disappoint.
For more easy dessert with strawberries, check out this 25 Strawberry Dessert Recipes.
MORE STRAWBERRY RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This American Scones Recipe
- 30 Minute Treat: These scone take a total of 30 minutes to make, 15 minutes for prep and 15 minutes of baking time.
- Easy Ingredients: This recipe for strawberry scones uses simple, pantry friendly ingredients.
- Adaptable: You can use this scone recipe as a base and substitute or add ingredients such as swapping the berries you use or adding chocolate chips, you can make this recipe you own!
Ingredient Notes for this Bakery Scones
- Granulated Sugar: For this recipe you will need granulated white sugar.
- Flour: All-purpose flour works best for this recipe. I would not recommend using another type of flour such as pastry flour as it will impact the results. You can also use whole wheat flour for a healthier swap but will result in denser scones.
- Baking Powder: You will need baking powder for these baked scones.
- Butter: You will need cold unsalted butter for this recipe as it will help to get the texture similar to bakery scones, with a slightly moist yet flakey and dry pastry.
- Heavy Cream:You will need heavy cream for the scones and glaze. If you don’t have heavy cream, you can also use 2% or whole milk for both the glaze and scones.
- Strawberries: You will need either fresh or frozen strawberries chopped into small pieces. If you use frozen, allow to thaw in fridge overnight and then cut up when you are ready to make this recipe.
- Powdered Sugar: For the glaze, you will need powdered sugar.
- Vanilla Extract: To get the sweet vanilla glaze, you will need vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste to get the detail of the small black seeds.
How to Make Strawberry Scones
These are the basic steps for making this Strawberry Scones recipe. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: PREPPING
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees f and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop up the strawberries as well.
STEP 2: MAKE THE SCONE DOUGH
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Then add the cold butter to the flour mixture and mix with a pastry fork until the consistency become crumbly. Then add in the heavy cream and work in with your hands. Add the strawberry and knead in until evenly spread through out the dough. If the consistency is too sticky you can add extra flour.
STEP 3: CREATE SCONE SHAPE
Add scone mixture to a floured surface and shape into a thick round disc, you can use a rolling pin to help. Then cut into triangles or use a cookie cutter to create shaped scones. Transfer scones to a lined paper sheet, lay them out 2 inches apart from each other. Bake for 12-15 until golden brown.
STEP 4: MAKE VANILLA GLAZE
While scones are baking, make the icing by combining powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream. Remove scone form oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack. When scones have cooled down, spoon on the vanilla glaze to the tops of strawberry American scones.
Prep and Storage Tips for Strawberry Scone Recipe
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
To make this recipe ahead of time, you can make the dough and keep in the fridge until you are ready to bake them. Keep dough in fridge for 1-3 days.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store this strawberry scone recipe in airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 days at room temperature on the counter top.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS BEST SCONES RECIPE
To freeze this recipe, wrap each strawberry scone individually in plastic wrap and then store in a freezer safe plastic bag.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Perfect Scones
Make this recipe gluten free by simply swapping the all purpose flour to 1-1 ratio gluten free flour, the Bob’s Red Mills is great substitute.
You can absolutely swap the strawberries or raspberries or other berries of your choice.
This recipe can easily be doubled or halved, increase or decrease ingredients proportionally, see notes down below.
The secret to make good scones is all in the butter. It is so important to use cold butter, if you live somewhere hot or your kitchen is normally warm, freeze the butter for 10-30 minutes before you make any type of strawberry scones recipes.
Here are even more great scones tips.
Expert Tips for Making This Easy Recipes
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: To double this recipe, increase ingredients proportionally. When rolling and cutting to shape the scones, separate dough into 2 each balls and shape dough into 2 thick disc to then cut into triangles.
- Fresh Berries: You can use raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries in place of strawberry in these tender scones.
- Chocolate Chips: To add another flavor depth to these scones add chocolate chips or white chocolate chips to the homemade scones.
- Lemon Zest: Can really brighten the scone batter.
What to Serve with Strawberry Scones
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Strawberry Scones Recipe
For the scones:
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2-½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped (frozen or fresh)
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Grate or cut the cold butter into the flour mixture.
- Using a pastry fork, combine until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Pour the heavy cream into the flour mixture.
- Use your hands to combine the ingredients until a dough starts to form.
- Work the strawberries in until evenly distributed into the dough. If the dough seems too sticky, add more flour ¼ cup at a time until no longer sticky..
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a thick disc.
- Pat or roll the dough to a thickness of about an inch.
- Cut into 8 triangles (as if cutting a pie) or use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut out scones, and place them onto a lined baking sheet two inches apart.
- Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the bottoms and baked through the middle.
- Remove the baked scones to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla.
- Spoon over the cooled scones and serve.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: To double this recipe, increase ingredients proportionally. When rolling and cutting to shape the scones, separate dough into 2 each balls and shape each one into a thick disc to then cut into triangles.
- Swap Berries: You can use raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries in place of strawberry in these scones.
- Chocolate Chips: To add another flavor depth to these scones add chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.