These Chicken Enchiladas are a great make ahead freezer meal.
At my house we love Mexican food. I also love a good an easy meal that I can throw together in a short time. Recently I found this recipe for Chicken Enchiladas that can be prepared a head of time and frozen. Then thawed and baked later.
Hi! I’m Susanne from New South Charm and I’m a regular contributor here at It Is A Keeper. I’m so excited to begin another great year with you. I’ll be sharing recipes each month to help you feed your family. Be sure to check back and see what I’m up to each month.
This recipe calls for two cooked chicken breasts. I like to bake chicken in the oven at 350º for thirty minutes or until cooked through. If you are looking for a faster option I recommend buying a Rotisserie Chicken and shredding it into bite size pieces.
Place prepared, shredded chicken in a bowl. Add the onion, green pepper, chilies, and Mexican Blend cheese. Stir ingredients together.
Spoon the mixture onto taco size flour tortillas. Then roll and place them seam side down in a 9×13 baking dish. If you are planning to freeze this recipe I recommend using a disposable aluminum pan.
After you have assembled the enchiladas pour a can of Enchilada Sauce across the top. We prefer Green Chili Enchilada Sauce over the traditional red. If your family likes the traditional sauce better that will work great too. Don’t feel like you have to use the Green Chili version just because I did.
Add shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese over the sauce and place in a 350º oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. If freezing skip the oven and wrap the pan in foil and date. Freeze up to a month before baking and serving.
I like to garnish with homemade salsa but you can add sour cream, scallions, or lettuce. These are also delicious when served on a bed of Spanish Rice.
If you’re looking for more fast easy dinner ideas check out my recipes for 30 Minute One Pot Chili or 30 Minute Nacho Skillet. If you love Mexican food like me then you’ll love my Easy Enchilada Casserole.
What is your favorite way to get dinner on the table on a busy night? Do you like fast fix meals? Using your slow cooker? Or do you prefer freezer meals? Leave me a message in the comment below and let me know.
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Freezer Chicken Enchiladas
Freezer Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 Chicken Breasts - cooked and shredded
- 1 Medium Onion - diced
- 1 Small Green Bell Pepper - diced
- 1 4 oz can of Green Chilies
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese - shredded
- 2 Cup Mexican Blend Cheese - shredded
- 10 Taco Flour Tortillas
- 1 Can Enchilada Sauce - Red or Green
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Mix chicken, Mexican blend cheese, onion, pepper bowl and chilies
- Spoon chicken mixture onto tortilla. Roll it up and place it in large
- x13 baking dish with seams down.
- Repeat until all chicken mixture is used.
- Pour enchilada sauce over the top
- Top with sharp cheddar cheese**
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until melted and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream or salsa on a bed of lettuce or rice is desired
- **If freezing cover with foil and place in freezer for up to a month
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.