This Copycat Chipotle Lime Rice is the perfect copy of your favorite Mexican restaurants. The combination of cilantro and lime comes together perfectly. You can make it in advance and freeze it for when you need it and always have it ready for your favorite meal.
Cilantro Lime Rice is a bright and versatile side dish that is a fresh and flavorful addition to any fiesta. It is the perfect compliment to those spicy Mexican meals.
The bold flavors and tastes are always popular. This Cilantro Lime Rice is a refreshing dish to serve with any of your favorite Mexican Dishes, as a side, in a burrito or bowl. It will be the perfect compliment.
Why We Love This Copycat Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
It’s no wonder we love this rice. The bright flavor from the cilantro and lime juice compliments and cools down your spicy dishes. It may even remind you of the rice you get from your favorite Mexican restaurant. It’s very similar to the Cilantro Lime Rice from Chipotle.
- 30-Minute Meal: Make rice on the stove in no time
- Easy Ingredients: Only 5 ingredients plus water. Fresh cilantro and bright lime truly enhance the rice.
- Family Friendly: This will be their favorite rice. This copycat version of the lime rice is a flavorful rice option.
- Different Types of Rice: Can make this with different kinds of rice long grain rice or brown rice. Make an instant pot of cilantro lime rice to make a quicker cooking time.
Ingredient Notes to Make Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
- Rice: It is best to use a long-grain rice for this copycat dish, make sure to rinse the rice. You can use white or brown rice.
- Butter: Use salted butter.
- Fresh Lime Juice: You will need the zest for one whole lime and two tablespoons of lime juice.
- Water: Two cups of water for every 1 cup of rice.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for this Lime and Cilantro Rice
Make sure to use fresh Lime and herbs. It is what particularly gives the dish its bright flavor that is so refreshing for this copycat recipe.
- Flavor: Feel free to add a bay leaf to the rice while cooking or fresh chopped cilantro.
- Type of Rice: Long grain white rice is traditional, but brown rice, Jasmine rice, Basmati rice, or cauliflower rice can be great in this recipe.
- Cooking variation: You can make this Cilantro Lime rice in the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker if you have one. You can also cook the rice in a rice cooker.
How to Make Easy Chipotle Lime Rice
This copycat chipotle lime rice is tender and full of flavor and perfect side dish for not only your favorite Mexican dishes but it is truly wonderful with any of your favorite main courses.
These are the basic steps to make cilantro lime rice. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: BOIL
First, bring the water to a boil. Next, rinse the rice before cooking until the water runs clear.
Step 2: STIR
Then stir the rinsed rice, butter, and salt into a saucepan. Cover and reduce heat to low.
Step 3: SIMMER THE CILANTRO-LIME RICE
Next, simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is soft and fluffy. Turn off the heat, fluff the rice with a fork, and then add the lime zest, lime juice, and add cilantro to the rice.
Recipe FAQs for Easy Cilantro Lime Rice
Expert Tips for Making This Easy Rice Recipe
Enhance this delicious rice side dish by adding the variables below.
- Heat: Try adding your favorite pepper such as jalapeño.
- Add Garlic: Fresh minced garlic adds flavor.
- Beans: Feel free to add black beans for a heartier dish.
- Nutrition: Brown rice makes a more nutritious dish. Try using brown basmati rice for change.
What to Serve Cilantro Lime Rice With
Copycat Chipotle Lime Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Lime zest, about 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice, about 1 lime
- ½ cup Cilantro, chopped
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Rinse the rice.
- Stir in rice, butter and salt.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat, fluff rice and stir in the lime zest, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
- Add Flavor: Such as a Bay Leaf while Cooking.
- Try Spice: Add some Chipotle Sauce or Jalapeno.
- Cilantro Hater: Use Thai Basil instead.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
This recipe is my personal adaption of an ethnic-inspired recipe. It is not intended to be an authentic recipe. I’ve recreated this recipe because I enjoy the flavors and I want to encourage my readers to expand their tastes and try new flavor combinations. The recipe, ingredients, and processes may have been adapted to make the recipe accessible to the average American. I have provided links to authentic versions of the recipe in the post above. I encourage you to visit these pages and learn more about the traditional version(s) of this recipe.