Pesto Tuna Cakes are a simple and inexpensive dish to prepare using leftover mashed potatoes with flavorful pesto for an easy weeknight meal.
Tuna is one of those proteins that I always forget about and I feel like is really under appreciated. I’ve never loved tuna sandwiches but I do enjoy tuna in other ways. Although I can think of some ways I don’t, or wouldn’t want to enjoy tuna like tuna spaghetti (a bachelor special of my husband’s, it wasn’t that bad actually) or tuna jello (it was a real dish in the 70’s, heaven help us!).
Tuna cakes are a universal favorite in our house, even with the kiddos. The tuna flavor is mellowed when combined with the mashed potatoes and adding Pesto Mashed Potatoes this time was a nice flavor boost! I love finding new ways to reinvent leftovers and for some reason mashed potatoes always seem to languish in my house!
I also love how quickly these come together. They are perfect for those busy weeknights when your staring into the fridge wondering what in the world you are going to make. Even if you don’t have mashed potatoes languishing in the fridge like me you can always use the instant potatoes in a pinch, just prepare them according to the package directions before adding to the tuna.
What kind of leftovers tend to hang out in your fridge?
Pesto Tuna Cakes
Pesto Tuna Cakes
- 1 can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 1/2 cups Pesto Mashed Potatoes, or 1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes plus 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- canola oil, for frying
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Combine tuna and mashed potatoes and form mixture into 16 patties. Lightly press the tuna cakes into the flour mixture on each side, shaking off excess.
- Heat about a 1/4 inch of canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot add tuna cakes in batches frying until golden brown on each side.
- Serve warm.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/