This easy Grilled Tuna Melt makes a great lunch or quick dinner!
When I was a little girl our family had grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner at least once a month. Mom usually served them with creamy tomato soup and potato chips on the side. Mmmm good!
Simple sandwiches are a great way to pull together a quick meal –or cheap meal — depending on your needs. Not every adult palate enjoys a simple tuna or grilled cheese sandwich, though. Combining the two as a grilled tuna & cheese sandwich with tomato may do the trick. Save the simpler version for the kids!
First, a couple of tips to make it perfect every time.
Tip #1 – pre-heat your pan on medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes
Tip #2 – cover the pan with a lid or cookie sheet to keep the heat in. (Use a pot holder to remove it.)
Tip #3 – brown the first side for about 1 minute and turn right away, to avoid burning. If it needs more cooking you can flip it back again several times. Just don’t leave any one side on too long.
More simple, satisfying meals for the family from Ducks ‘n a Row:
- Easy Pulled Pork Recipe
- Teriyaki Burgers Just Like Red Robin
- Mac and Cheese Please!
Here are some other recipes you may also like:
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Easy Grilled Tuna Melt
Easy Grilled Tuna Melt
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 1 can tuna fish drained
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 slices tomato sliced thing
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- Warm a skillet on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Mix drained tuna and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Spoon 1/4 of the tuna mixture onto each of 4 slices bread.
- Place a slice of American cheese on top.
- Add a slice of tomato and top with another slice of bread.
- Butter the top of each sandwich and gently turn over onto the warmed skillet so that butter-side is facing down.
- Butter the top of the sandwich and place a lid on the skillet.
- Turn each sandwich after 1 minute.
- Continue turning occasionally till each side is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from skillet.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/