This easy Creamy Shrimp and Biscuits recipe seems very elegant but only takes 30 minutes to make. Plus, the biscuits are made from scratch!
Why this Creamy Shrimp and Biscuits Recipe Works
Recently, I attended the NY Dairy Tour hosted by the American Diary Association.
It was three fun-filled days spent with fellow bloggers and nutritionists where we visited local dairy farms in upstate NY. We learned all about the dairy industry from local farmers…
Met some pretty cool cows…
Visited a local distillery where we had cocktails made with dairy…
Learned to make a gorgeous cheeseboard…
And, ate some pretty amazing farm to table food!
One of the best parts of the trip was the cooking contest on the final day. We were all assigned a secret dairy ingredient that we had to center our recipe around. The sky was the limit.
I made this easy 30 minute Creamy Shrimp and Biscuits. It was a fun play on traditional chicken and biscuits, except I upped the ante a little by using shrimp.
One of my favorite things about this recipe are the homemade biscuits. The simple biscuits have only 2 ingredients and take only 20 minutes to make – start to finish.
They’re the perfect vessel to sop up all of the creamy, garlicky, parmesan-y sauce.
How to Make Creamy Shrimp and Biscuits
This recipe looks and sounds fancy. But, truth be told, it’s fast and easy to make. It starts with my basic quick biscuit recipe. I added some fresh thyme and grated parmesan to tie the flavors to the sauce.
Once the biscuits were baking, I started the shrimp. All they needed was a quick pan sear and some simple seasoning.
The final step was the build the creamy sauce. I used the same pan I cooked the shrimp in and added some shallots, garlic and thyme. Once I coaxed all of the flavor out of the aromatics, I added some white wine (feel free to sub chicken stock), heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
To finish it all off, I added a little squirt of lemon juice. And, that’s it. By the time the biscuits were done baking, the shrimp and sauce was finished. The whole thing took about 30 minutes, start to finish.
The Easiest Biscuit Recipe
This biscuit recipe is one of my favorite quick cooking secrets. The basic recipe has only 2 simple ingredients. But, you can take the flavor where ever you want by adding things.
I added fresh thyme and parmesan to these biscuits. You could also add cheddar, garlic, rosemary, just about anything your heart desires.
Once you have the dough together, I simply pat it out into a rectangle and cut them into square biscuits. Of course, you could make round biscuits, but there’s zero waste when you cut them into squares.
The biscuits bake in a very hot oven for 10-15 minutes and that’s it. Fresh, easy, piping hot biscuits in no time!
These biscuits are incredible! They’re the closest thing you’ll get to traditional southern biscuits without all of the work. How do I know this? A true southerner told me so!
If you are a fan of The Next Food Network Star, you might remember season 12 winner Jason Smith. He was the celebrity guest judge of our dairy cookoff.
I had a chance to chat with Jason and he was impressed that my biscuits had no butter or shortening but still had lift and were super tender. I took that as a great compliment coming from him!
What Kind Dairy to Use
As I mentioned, my secret ingredient for this content was cream. I used heavy cream in both the biscuits and the cream sauce. The high fat content of the heavy cream gave both components of this Creamy Shrimp and Biscuits a decadent texture and flavor. If you wanted a less fat version, you could substitute half and half for the cream sauce but not for the biscuits. The biscuits need the fat from the heavy cream to come out right.
Expert Tips for Making this Garlic Shrimp and Biscuits Recipe
This recipe is very easy to make and comes together in no time. It’s perfect for company or a regular old Tuesday night. Here are some tips for making this 30 minute Shrimp and Biscuits:
- Buy peeled and deveined shrimp to save cleaning time.
- Use fresh or frozen shrimp. If using frozen shrimp thaw them in a bowl of cold water.
- Make the cream sauce right before serving the dish. The sauce with thicken as it stands.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Shrimp cleaner: This gadget makes it super easy to peel and devein shrimp.
Garlic press: No more garlicky smelling fingers!
Parmesan cheese grater: Grating parm is easy with this tool!
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the quick and easy recipes for dinner on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Creamy Shrimp and Biscuits
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Parchment paper
Garlic Parmesan Shrimp
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning Blend
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup Pinot Grigio
- 1 ½ cups light cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Clean shrimp to remove shells and devein.
- Prepare biscuit dough: Combine flour, cream, chopped thyme and parmesan cheese.
- Gently flatten to ½ inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare shrimp by heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season shrimp on both sides and place in hot skillet.
- Cook on each side for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove shrimp and cover with foil.
- 10. Add butter to the skillet, when melted add shallots.
- 11. Cook shallots for 1 minute and add garlic and thyme.
- 12. Cook garlic and thyme for 30 seconds.
- 13. Add wine, reduce by half.
- 14. Add cream and allow to thicken slightly.
- 15. Stir in parmesan.
- 16. Remove biscuits from the oven.