We have put together a list of our favorite gourmet grilled cheese recipes, with a wide variety of flavors to help you find your perfect grilled cheese. Everyone loves a classic grilled cheese with tomato soup, but there is so much room to experiment with this classic sandwich.
Grilled cheese is an after school lunch classic – hot melty cheese in between crispy buttery bread, perfect for dipping in tomato soup. Yum!
Lucky for us, this classic doesn’t have to stop when we’re done with grade school. Gourmet grilled cheeses are a great way to make an “adult” grilled cheese, and add more flavor and flare to the long time favorite.
This list includes our best gourmet grilled cheese recipes, including recipes for grilled cheese in oven, air fryer grilled cheese, and grilled ham and cheese. They are extremely versatile and can be tweaked to find something for everyone’s taste!
Best Gourmet Grilled Cheese
Gourmet grilled cheeses are essentially a glorified panini, but are sure to be a hit nonetheless. Here are some of our all time favorite takes on the fancy grilled cheese trend.
- Bacon Avocado Grilled Cheese with Garlic Aioli: This delicious sandwich recipe has so many layers with different flavors that work flawlessly together.
- Bacon Egg and Hashbrown Grilled Cheese: A great way to spice up your classic breakfast sandwich!
- Salmon and Swiss Gourmet Grilled Cheese: This quick and easy recipe is filled with delicious flavor.
- Loaded Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich: This includes all of the flavor from the classic caprese salad with but tastes out of this world with grilled sourdough bread!
- Trainwreck Grilled Cheese: This grilled cheese is loaded with gouda, caramelized onions, and maple whiskey bacon and is absolutely delicious!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Using the air fryer is a very simple way to achieve a crunchy grilled cheese. It cooks your food in minutes and is a very low maintenance way to prepare a perfect grilled cheese!
- Best Ever Air Fryer Grilled Cheese: This crunchy take on the childhood classic will make you never want to make a grilled cheese any other way!
- Easy Air Fryer Bacon Grilled Cheese: Adding bacon makes just about anything taste better, but bacon and grilled cheese are a match made in heaven.
- The Ultimate Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich: This loaded grilled cheese is packed with flavorful veggies.
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheesesteak: This grilled cheese recipe has all of the flavor from your favorite philly cheesesteak but in a crispy panini!
- Air Fryer Turkey and Brie Grilled Cheese: This sophisticated adult grilled cheese tastes amazing with granny smith apples and your favorite jam.
Grilled Cheese in Oven
Making a baked grilled cheese in the oven is as simple as it is delicious. The best part about it is that instead of making one or two at a time on a skillet, you can make enough for the whole family at once and let the oven do all of the work!
Here are some of our favorite oven-friendly gourmet grilled cheese recipes that are sure to be a hit.
- Roasted Red Pepper Oven Grilled Cheese: This melty grilled cheese is stuffed with roasted red peppers and spinach.
- Baked Pizza Grilled Cheese: The best of both worlds – all of the flavors of pepperoni pizza but in a crispy garlic buttery sandwich!
- Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese: This delicious buffalo chicken sandwich is sure to be a crowd pleaser and is perfect for football season!
- Broccoli Pesto Mushroom Grilled Cheese: Get your veggie fix with this delicious and flavorful grilled cheese!
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese: For those that love a little bit of spice, this delicious recipe has got you covered.
Grilled Ham and Cheese
Ham and cheese is another sandwich classic, but a grilled ham and cheese takes things to the next level. Here are some of our favorite variations of the grilled ham and cheese.
- Grilled Ham and Cheese with Honey Mustard: This recipe pairs perfectly with an easy to make homemade honey mustard dipping sauce.
- Ham Egg and Grilled Cheese: Makes for a delicious breakfast sandwich, and is great when made in the waffle maker!
- Gouda and Ham Grilled Cheese: This simple yet flavorful grilled cheese is sure to hit the spot.
- Classic Monte Cristo Sandwich: This amazing sandwich is basically the lovechild of french toast and a grilled ham and cheese. Add some raspberry preserves, powdered sugar, and dijon and the flavor is out of this world!
- Hawaiian Grilled Cheese: Pineapple and ham are a great combination on pizza, and the grilled cheese is no exception! Dip it into your favorite tomato soup for the full hawaiian pizza flavor.
Shop This Recipe
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the quick and easy recipes on It Is a Keeper.