Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes are a warm, hearty breakfast that you can serve your family when the weather turns cooler, and you need a breakfast that will not only taste great but will also be fortifying.
Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes are a staple recipe for fall because not only are you using up the abundance of apples, but you are also providing your family with a dessert like breakfast that they will love.
Need more breakfast ideas to wow the family, check these recipes out.
MORE APPLE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
If you are a fan of giving your family something healthy and nutritious as well as delicious than this is the recipe that you need to make for your family. Apples are so good for you, find out more about them.
- 20 Minute Meal: This recipe comes together quickly and it well worth the effort.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry or fridge.
- Family Friendly: The family will gobble these apple pancakes up.
- Adaptable: Can make it with different fruit and an assortment of toppings.
- Chopped Apples: Honeycrisp apples, or granny smith apples work well in this recipe, chose a firm apple.
- Whole wheat Flour
- Flax seed: Ground.
- Cinnamon: Two teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Rolled Oats: This gives the pancakes the taste of apple crisp.
- Milk: You can use whole milk or a milk alternative.
- Sugar: white sugar or brown sugar for a richer flavor.
- Vanilla extract: Gives a cake like taste to the pancakes.
- Baking Soda: to make them light and fluffy.
How to Make Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
These are the basic steps for making apple pancakes recipe. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions and nutrition facts.
STEP 1: PREP
Begin by peeling and dicing your apples and preheat your griddle. Then add apples to a small bowl and microwave for 2 minutes or until softened. Set aside.
STEP 2: COMBINE
First, in a large bowl stir together dry ingredients. In a separate medium bowl, combine milk, vanilla and oil and then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Carefully fold in softened apples. Batter will be thick.
STEP 3: COOK
Next pour batter onto greased skillet or hot griddle, grease with a cooking spray or melted butter, using approximately 1/4 cup of mixture for each pancake. Brown on both sides, flip when bubbles form and serve hot and golden-brown.
Prep and Storage Tips for Pancake Recipes
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
You can make the batter the night before and have it ready to bake in the morning. Also, you can make extra of the dry ingredients and store them in a zipper bag or airtight container for when you want to whip up a batch of these Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store leftovers in the refrigerator covered in plastic wrap or you can also freeze the remaining Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes in an airtight container or freezer bag.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Freeze your apple pancakes for up to six months.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS RECIPE
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm in a frying pan on the stove top or re heat in the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Make the pancakes vegan friendly by using a milk alternative for a lower calorie version, use skim milk and sugar alternatives like monk fruit or Splenda.
Of course, this recipe is wonderful with peaches, berries or bananas,
Of course, make in a large mixing bowl and freeze the pancakes after cooking for a quick breakfast or make a half batch for a smaller family.
The perfectly sized pancake is usually around four inches around or roughly the size of a dessert plate.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- Add Nuts: Crushed walnuts or pecans add a great crunch.
- Toppings: Finish with maple syrup, apple sauce or more fresh fruit and a little whip cream.
- Variation tip: Replace the milk with buttermilk for extra fluffy pancakes.
- Alternate ingredient: Whisk in a little vanilla protein powder for extra protein loaded pancakes.
- Alternate cooking method tip: If you are making a lot of pancakes, pop in the oven at a low to medium heat to keep the pancakes hot.
- Spices: Use an apple pie or pumpkin pie spice blend to add more flavorful goodness.
What to Serve with Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
- 2 cups apples, peeled and diced finely
- 1 ⅓ cups whole wheat flour
- 4 Tablespoons ground flax
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 4 Tablespoon canola oil
- Add apples to a small bowl and microwave for 2 minutes or until softened. Set aside.
- Stir together dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Carefully fold in softened apples. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter onto greased skillet or griddle using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.
- Brown on both sides and serve hot.