Apple Crisp Bars are so inviting. There is nothing better than a fresh warm apple dessert filling the air on a cool fall day. Nothing says fall like these tempting apple bars.
More about these Apple Crisp Bars
These Apple Crisp Bars or so quick and easy but are made from scratch and taste so good. It is the perfect end to any meal. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a piping hot cup of coffee, this is sheer perfection.
Why This Apple Recipe is a Keeper
Apple desserts are the perfect late summer, fall treat. What is the difference of a Crisp , crumble, buckle or brown betty?
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry.
- Family Friendly: The whole house will smell like heaven.
- Adaptable: Can make it low-carb, dairy free, low calorie, gluten free, etc…
- Makes Great Leftovers: These bars are great for kids lunches or heated up any time you want a warm apple dessert.
If you’re looking for more inspired recipes, try these [LINK TO RECIPE 1], [LINK TO RECIPE 2] and [LINK TO RECIPE 3]
What are the best Apples for baking?
Of course, you want the best apples for the apple pie filling for your apple bars. Granny smith apples are a great baking apple. Hard, tart, apples make the best apples for baking.
Ingredient Notes to Love these Apple Crisp Bars
- Rolled oats: This is a type of quick oats. If you use old fashioned oats you may have to cook the bars for longer. They are the base for the pastry.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for the Best Apple Bar Recipe
You can add a few things to make these homemade apple crisp bars. Make apple crisp bars with different fruits and nuts or add some salted caramel sauce.
- Ingredient variation: Add dried fruit such as dried cranberries or raisins.
- Cinnamon Apple Filling: Cut apple slices and make your own pie filling or use canned.
- Make Individual: Make individual apple crisps bars feature in small tart pans. The bake time will vary for these. Store in an airtight container.
- Streusel Topping: Change the crisp topping into a more cookie like streusel for the traditional apple bars. Top the apple mixture with this delicious bar.
How to Make Apple Crisp Bars
These are the basic steps for making crumbly apple squares recipe. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
STEP 1: Prepare Baking Pan with Parchment
First, preheat oven to 350 and line 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
STEP 2: Make the Shortbread Crust
Second, in a mixing bowl combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and oats and then stir butter in until the mixture is crumb.
STEP 3: Press then Spread the Apples in an Even Layer
Next, press 2 cups into bottom of baking dish. Then, spread the slice apple filling to ¼ inch from edge.
STEP 4: Top with Crumble Topping and Bake the Easy to Make Bar until Topping is Golden
Finally, sprinkle on remaining crumb mixture and lightly press into filing to form a crisp topping over the apple layer. Bake 30-40 minutes until light brown.
Recipe FAQs to Make the Apple Crisp Cookie Bars
Expert Tips for Making This Easy Apple Crisp Bars Recipe
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: Make one for now and freeze one for later! Or freeze the slices individually. Remove the bars from the baking sheet and wrap each slice in wax paper or parchment paper after you allow the bars to cool.
- Add Caramel: Drizzle caramel sauce on for extra flavor as a topping. Caramel apple is always a favorite for this fall dessert recipe.
- Spices: Doctor you crisp up with Apple Pie Spice or you own cinnamon blend.
- Nuts: Chopped walnuts or pecans make a great addition to this delicious apple crisp bars or as a crunchy topping to this great recipe for apple pie bars.
- Dietary consideration tip: Gluten free flour, coconut sugar or other alternatives make this recipe work for people with dietary needs to make it their favorite apple dessert.
- Store: Bars can be stored in an airtight container. The apple crisp bars taste best warm.
Apple Crisp Bars
- ½ cup Light brown sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ cup Butter, softened
- ¾ cup Apple pie filling
- Preparation Instructions:
- Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and oats
- Stir or use hands to incorporate butter until the mixture is crumbly
- Press 2 cups into bottom of baking dish
- Next, evenly spread filling to ¼ inch from edge
- Sprinkle on remaining crumb mixture and lightly press into pie filling.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until light brown
- Cool, cut into bars and serve
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: Make one for now and freeze one for later!.
- Add Caramel: Drizzle caramel sauce on for extra flavor.
- Spices: Doctor you crisp up with Apple Pie Spice.
- Nuts: Chopped walnuts or pecans make a great addition to this dish.
- Dietary consideration tip: Gluten free flour, coconut sugar or other alternatives make this recipe work for people with dietary needs.