Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta is the perfect easy prep meal for any cheese lover out there. Your family and friends are going to love this restaurant-quality decadent meal and leave them wanting more.
This flavorful Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta is effortless to make so dinnertime is easier than ever. The explosion of delicious flavors will impress everyone you know.
Gorgonzola gives this penne its fragrant and rich flavor and is traditionally made in northern Italian regions. Visit the site to read more about the specialty cheese and how others enjoy it today.
If you’re looking for more satisfying recipes, try this Maple Bacon Crack, Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Crack Chicken Pasta.
What We Love About This Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta
This creamy chicken is not only easy but versatile. You can cater it to your family and friends’ tastes and substitute it however you like. This dinner is filling and will satisfy everyone at the table.
- Easy Ingredients: Find what you need in your pantry at home or in stores.
- Adaptable: Toss any vegetable in this creamy Gorgonzola chicken to make it even more hearty and filling.
- Makes Great Leftovers: Eat this creamy pasta dish the next day for lunch or dinner.
Ingredient Notes for Gorgonzola Pasta
- Chicken: This recipe can easily use pre-cooked chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken.
- Gorgonzola cheese: This cheese can be found in the international aisle in grocery stores or at your local deli market.
- Sage: While fresh sage leaves is best, but dry leaves can also be good for this.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions
There are so many different ways you can make this flavorful supper your own. You can add, take away or substitute anything to custom create a savory taste that you know your family and friends will ask for again.
- Pasta: Easily switch from using penne to fettuccine noodles. Protein pasta is also an excellent choice to add protein.
- Veggies: Add your favorite vegetables like chopped broccoli, mushrooms or baby spinach to make it more hearty. In addition, sautéed shallots partners well to add a sweet and delicate onion flavor.
- Cheese: Use other similar tasting cheeses such as Roquefort, Stilton or goat cheese. Crumble or sliced cheese is best.
- Low-carb: Easily use zucchini or pea noodles for a low-carb alternative.
How to Make Chicken Gorgonzola
This penne gorgonzola with chicken is very versatile and your family will remember the flavors as a family favorite.
These are the basic steps for making this chicken recipe. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Prepare Noodles
Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse noodles and set aside for use later.
Step 2: Heat Skillet and Cook Garlic
Next, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil on all sides (using only one tablespoon of oil). Add garlic and continue cooking 1 minute more. Add wine and use your spoon to start stirring to loosen browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
Step 3: Add Cream, Broth and Cheese
Add cream and broth and cook until sauce is slightly thick and chicken is no longer pink. Stir in the Gorgonzola, sage, salt and pepper to taste. Cook just until cheese is melted.
Step 4: Combine Ingredients
Finally, toss noodles in with the chicken and Gorgonzola sauce. Top with grated Parmesan and parsley.
Recipe FAQs about this Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
For your busier days, cut down your cooking time down significantly with these tips. Make it your own way. Everyone is going to love this tasty dinner and leave with smiling faces.
- Prep Ahead: Make your noodles and sauce ahead of time. Reheat mixture in a skillet before adding your chicken and serving.
- Save Time: Use pre-cooked grilled chicken to cut down your cooking time.
- Vegetarian Swap: To make this meal vegetarian, swap the meat out for mushrooms to add nutrition.
- Spice Tip: If you like spicier flavors, add a little spice like red pepper flakes to turn up the heat.
- Double Recipe: Do you need more than 4 servings? Double the amount to make enough for company to enjoy.
What to Serve with Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta
Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta
- 16 ounces Penne pasta, (cooked according to package directions)
- 1 pound Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 large Garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup White wine
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- ¼ cup Chicken broth
- 2 cups Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled or sliced
- 6 to 8 Fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan, garnish
- Parsley, garnish
- The recipe requires one package (16 ounces) of penne pasta to be cooked according to the package instructions.
- One pound of boneless and skinless chicken breasts should be cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken on all sides in one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Then, add one large clove of minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- After that, add 1/4 cup of white wine to the skillet and stirring to loosen browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add 1 cup of heavy cream, 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 2 cups of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (8 ounces), and 6-8 thinly sliced fresh sage leaves.
- Finally, add a little salt and pepper according to taste. Garnish with grated Parmesan and parsley (optional).
- Prep ahead: Make your pasta and sauce ahead of time. Reheat mixture in a skillet before adding your chicken and serving.
- Save time: Use pre-cooked grilled chicken to cut down your cooking time.
- Vegetarian swap: To make this meal vegetarian, swap the meat out for mushrooms to add nutrition.
- Spice tip: If you like spicier flavors, add a little spice like red pepper flakes to turn up the heat.
- Double recipe: Do you need more than 4 servings? Double this recipe to make enough for company to enjoy.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
This recipe is my personal adaption of an ethnic inspired recipe. It is not intended to be an authentic recipe. I’ve recreated this recipe because I enjoy the flavors and I want to encourage my readers to expand their tastes and try new flavor combinations. The recipe, ingredients and processes may have been adapted to make the recipe accessible for the average American. I have provided links to authentic versions of the recipe in the post above. I encourage you to visit these pages and learn more about the traditional version(s) of this recipe.
34 thoughts on “Chicken Gorgonzola Pasta”
Sounds great! I am cutting the carbs for the New Year, but that dish is making me rethink things..
And thanks for your list of linkies – I post to a lot of them already, but there are some that I hadn’t heard of before.
And thanks for linking up to Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies last week! The new linky for the week is now up, so please stop by!
Hubbyman is going to love this dish. Thanks for linking up to TDT. Would love to have you stop by anytime.
Please note the new web addy and rss feed.
Around My Family Table
Changes noted! I resubscribed! 🙂 Thanks for updating me! Enjoy the dish!
I love simple delicious recipes and this one looks amazing. I would love for you to link this or any of your recipes to my recipe blog hop. http://homeandpantry.blogspot.com/2011/01/cuban-style-picadillo.html
Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.
Thanks, Tamarah! I’ve just posted to your site too! 🙂
Yum, I love gorgonzola, it adds such a rich nutty flavor. Thanks for linking up to Sister Sister!
Hi, I found your blog at My Romatic Home. I love your penne gorganzola, looks delicious! I would like to invite you to post this over at my new link party, Masterpiece Monday, at my blog, Boogieboard Cottage. The link is already up. I hope you can join the party!
Happy New Year,
Thanks, Mary! I’m heading over there now!
Happy New Year and thanks for stopping by! 🙂