Did you know that you can have delicious homemade made Mac & Cheese in under 20 minutes? This recipe for Easy Skillet Mac & Cheese is one of my top easy recipes.
My family loves Mac & Cheese. It’s one of those comfort foods they they just can’t get enough of. But my traditional mac and cheese recipe can be a little cumbersome. After all, I have to make all of the components on the stove and then transfer it to a baking dish and bake it for 30 minutes.
I do have a few short cuts though. I usually make a double batch and freeze one for a later meal. That way, all I need to do it thaw it and bake it. Easy peasy.
However, I’m as impatient as they get. So, I wanted a recipe that would be even easier and, more importantly, faster!
That’s where I came up with this version. It’s the 20 minute, stove top version of my favorite mac and cheese recipe.
The key to this recipe is using good, quality ingredients. I love Crystal Farms cheese.
I shred one cup of their mild cheddar for this recipe. You can also use the pre-shredded type if you’re in a pinch (or just don’t feel like shredding cheese).
I top the whole thing with crispy Panko bread crumbs and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes to get a nice golden brown crust.
It’s pure comfort food.
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 oz process cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes (or 1 cup of any other type of shredded cheese)
- 1 cup shredded Crystal Farms cheddar cheese
- 1 pound pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- In a large pot, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in large oven proof skillet, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium-low heat.
- Add flour and stir for one minute until it starts to gets pasty.
- Whisk in the milk. Continue to cook over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until the milk begins to thicken — about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked and drained pasta and stir to combine.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter and combine with Panko.
- Stir until combined and spread on top of the prepared macaroni and cheese.
- Preheat the broiler and place the skillet under the broiler until the bread crumbs turn golden brow. This will only take a few minutes so keep an eye on it.
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
For more great recipes and inspiration check out Crystal Farms Favorites recipes or visit Crystal Farms on Pinterest.