Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes are so decadent and luxurious. Fresh raspberry buttercream compliments the rich chocolatey cake base. It is truly one of those perfect combinations. These are perfect for birthdays. But, these sweet raspberry cupcakes would also be perfect for Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day or any special occasion.
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes are a guaranteed crowd pleaser. With combination of chocolate and raspberry, it makes for the a decadent dessert with rich chocolate flavor and sweet berry accents. Truly it is a wonderful show stopper for any gathering.
This recipe starts with a boxed, simple chocolate cake mix. But, if want homemade chocolate cupcakes, try my homemade moist chocolate cake (this is my favorite chocolate cake for making fluffy chocolate cupcakes ) in its place then top with the raspberry buttercream frosting.
The creamy, tart raspberry frosting recipe makes these cupcakes special. It’s light and fluffy with a bright raspberry flavor. And, the fresh berry garnish makes the cupcakes look extra special.
For more easy and delicious boxed cake mix recipes to try, check out these desserts made with cake mix.
MORE RASPBERRY RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Best Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- Box Cake: No need to make this recipe completely from scratch as it starts with a box of cake mix.
- Family Friendly: These will probably be the best chocolate cupcakes your family will ever have!
- Adaptable: Add in extra raspberries or add chocolate chips to top this recipe.
Notes about Ingredients for Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
- Cake Mix: Any brand of chocolate boxed cake will be work.
- Raspberries: You can use fresh raspberries or frozen raspberries that have thawed. You could even add raspberry jam or raspberry preserves in a pinch.
Variations and Substitutions
- Extra Raspberries – For an extra kick of raspberry add 1 cup of raspberries to the cake batter before baking. And, place a fresh raspberry on top.
- Chocolate Chips – For extra chocolate, add 1 cup of chocolate chips to the chocolate cupcake batter.
How to Make The Best Chocolate Cupcakes
These are the basic steps for making Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions. Check Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas.
STEP 1: MAKE THE CUPCAKES
First prepare the cupcakes by adding the chocolate mix to the ingredients listed on the package and prepare according to boxed directions. Fill the cupcake tins about 2/3 full. I recommend using a cupcake liner in each tin. Bake the cupcakes as instructed on the box. When a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, they are done. Remove to a wire rack to let the cupcakes cool completely. I cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove them from the pan to finish cooling. If you try to put the frosting on top of warm cupcakes it will melt.
STEP 2: HOMEMADE RASPBERRY FROSTING
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. To make raspberry flavored buttercream frosting start by beating together the room temperature butter and 4 cups of powdered sugar for 2 minutes in a large mixing bowl. Next add the vanilla extract and cream, beat until fully combined. Spoon in the raspberry to the frosting. Mix until raspberries are broken down and no large chunks remain. You can also substitute raspberry jam or preserves if you can’t get fresh berries. Adjust frosting as necessary.
STEP 3: FROST CUPCAKES
Transfer the raspberry frosting into a piping bag or a zipper back with the tip of one corner cut off. Then pipe the frosting onto the unfrosted cupcakes in a swirling motion. The delicious raspberry buttercream frosting makes an impressive topping. Then, top with extra raspberries and shaved chocolate for garnish.
Prep and Storage Tips
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY CUPCAKES RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
It is best to make the cupcakes no more than 2 days ahead of time for the best taste. The best method to make ahead of time would be to make the cupcakes and store cupcakes in an airtight container or zipper bag before frosting them. You can make the frosting ahead of time too and store in the fridge or just make it when you are ready to frost the cupcakes.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Leftover cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for 2-3 days or in the fridge for 4-5 days.
HOW TO FREEZE CUPCAKES
These cupcakes can be frozen, unfrosted, in airtight freeze safe plastic bag for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s best to make cupcakes no more than 2 days in advance. It’s best to make the raspberry frosting fresh.
If you prefer the combination of strawberries and chocolare try swapping the raspberries for strawberries instead.
Easily double or half this recipe, increase or decrease ingredients proportionally.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
If you want to make the best chocolate raspberry cupcakes, here are some expert tips you should follow.
- Rice in Cupcake Tins: If you put a bit of rice at the bottoms your cupcake tins then add the cupcake liner, it will absorb the oil and prevent the bottom of the cupcakes from getting greasy.
- Cool Cupcakes: It is very important you place the cupcakes on a rack until the cupcakes have cooled completely before frosting, even if they are almost cool but slightly warm you risk the creamy raspberry frosting melting off of the cupcake.
- Berries: Here is how to find and select the nest raspberries.
What to Serve with Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
- Box Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 4-5 cups Powdered Icing Sugar, as needed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Raspberries, we used frozen and thawed
- 1 Tablespoons Cream, optional
- Optional: 18-54 Raspberries, garnish
- Start by preparing the cupcakes according to boxed directions, along with the ingredients listed on the back of the box.
- Then beat together the butter and 4 cups of powdered sugar for 2 minutes in a large mixing bowl.
- Next add the vanilla extract and cream, beat until fully combined.
- Add the raspberries to the frosting. Mix until raspberries are broken down and no large chunks remain.
- You can adjust the texture as needed by adding in additional cream or powdered sugar, depending if you need you frosting thinner or stiffer.
- Transfer the raspberry frosting into a piping bag fit with a large star tip using a non-stick spatula.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes in a swirling motion. Additionally top with extra raspberries and shaved chocolate.
- Rice in Cupcake Tins: If you put a bit of rice at the bottoms your cupcake tins then the liners it will absorb the oil and prevent the bottom of the cupcakes from getting greasy.
- Cool Cupcakes: It is very import you allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting, even if they are almost cool but slightly warm you risk the frosting melting off of the cupcake.