This recipe makes perfect caramelized onions every single time.
Caramelized onions are one of my favorite condiments. As the onions cook down and become sweet and caramel-y. And, your kitchen fills with an amazing aroma.
You can make these onions ahead of time and stash them in the fridge. When you’re ready to use them, just warm on the stove and add a splash of water to perk them up.
If you this recipe, make sure you sign up for It Is a Keeper’s email newsletter! You’ll receive a FREE Kitchen Cheat Sheet Printable as a thank you!
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Jack Daniels Whiskey Burger
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
- 4 inch yellow onions - sliced 1/4 thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melt butter and onions in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Stir in brown sugar and salt; add onions and stir for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and cook onions for 40 minutes.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.