This Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce is decadent without the guilt.
I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for the SPLENDA® Brand. I received product samples to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. All opinions and reviews are my own.
A few years ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. After several surgeries and radiation treatments and several years of negative follow-up tests, she is proudly able to call herself a cancer survivor.
A few of us gathered to show our support for her fight at a regional cancer walk. It was an amazing event. And, I felt honored to be able to support my mother in this way.
The walk was an amazing, inspiring, uplifting and special day. We had a great time doing the walk together — even the kids made it to the very end. They had a great time picking up swag from the various vendors (and wearing it ALL) and interacting with all of the mascots that were there.
After the event, we cleaned our (sweaty) selves up, met up at my mom’s house and enjoyed a better for you version of one of our favorite desserts — bread pudding!
There is just something about bread pudding that I can’t get enough of. I think it’s because it reminds me of french toast. Seriously, though, it’s one of my favorite desserts. It’s definitely a decadent indulgence since it’s made with cream, eggs, butter and sugar.
Since, traditional recipes are loaded with fat and calories. I found this better for you version on SWEETSWAPS.com.
It was very easy to make. It only took a few minutes to get it all assembled and ready to bake. I used individual ramekins, but you could easily make this in a muffin pan or baking dish.
So many of us are trying to make smarter choices toward a healthy lifestyle. That can include taking the stairs in place of the elevator or being more mindful of the ingredients you use in recipes.
To help inspire and motivate us to make these smart choices, the SPLENDA® Brand has a great collection of recipes that reduce added sugar by swapping out full sugar for SPLENDA® Sweetener Products. This way we can create the dishes we love while maintaining a balanced lifestyle.
Did you know that swapping just one cup of sugar with one cup of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated can save more than 600 calories? I was amazed when I learned that.
You can find many more tips, tricks and delicious recipes on SWEETSWAPS.com.
We loved the Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce. It had the flavor, texture and consistency that I had expected but not the fat or calories. And, I loved the brand sauce. It made the bread pudding even more sinfully delicious! This was a treat that we could feel good about after our long walk.
This better for you version was still rich and decadent and sweet. It was the perfect way to cap off a perfect day.
I am so proud of my mom for the courage she showed during her diagnosis and treatment. She kept a positive attitude, fought her cancer and won. We are all so proud of her!
If you this recipe, make sure you sign up for It Is a Keeper’s email newsletter! You’ll receive a FREE Kitchen Cheat Sheet Printable as a thank you!
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce
Bread Pudding with Brandy Sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup fat-free half & half
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup egg substitute
- 2/3 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener - Granulated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups dry bread cubes (8 slices of bread of your choice - fluffy whole grain bread works well)
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons brandy extract
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon fat-free half & half
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener - Granulated
- 1 teaspoon brandy extract
Make bread pudding:
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium sauce pan, add half & half, milk, and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is hot. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix egg substitute, SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir in bread cubes. Add warm milk mixture and blend thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, add cherries, water, and brandy extract. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add to bread mixture and stir well.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of bread pudding mixture into each cup, and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Make brandy-flavored sauce:
- While bread puddings are baking, add one cup half & half to a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
- Blend cornstarch and 1 tablespoon half & half in a small cup, add to heated half & half and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly to avoid burning on bottom.
- Let mixture boil for 1 to 2 minutes to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated, and brandy extract.
- Remove bread puddings from muffin pan. Place on dessert plates.
- Drizzle with warm Brandy-Flavored Sauce.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon (optional).
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.