Saltine Crack Candy, also known as Christmas crack, is a sweet and salty holiday treat made with saltine crackers, toffee, and chocolate. This addictive 30-minute recipe makes a great gift- light, crispy, and perfect for snacking.
Saltine Crackers: The Star of Christmas Crack Candy
These delicious chocolate and caramel candies got their name from their saltine cracker base, which gives them a crisp “cracking” sound. Plus these saltine crackers coated with toffee is really easy to make.
Saltines were invented in the early 19th century, but Premium brand Saltines, produced by the Josiah Bent Bakery, were the first trademarked Saltine brand in 1876. They are made with baking soda, hence why they’re also called “soda crackers.” Saltines can be eaten with sweet and savory toppings, or enjoyed on their own.
Why This Cracker Candy Recipe aka Christmas Crack is a Keeper
- 30 Minute Treat: This saltine toffee only takes minutes to make, and about a half hour to set up. this candy is made so easily.
- Family Friendly: A snappy crack of toffee when you bite into this candy makes it super fun and delicious.
- Adaptable: Make these toffee crackers with milk chocolate, white chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate chips. You do not require a candy thermometer required.
- Makes Great Gifts: Place the Christmas Crack Candy in a festive tin for the perfect gift. This recipe is easy, do not skip this recipe.
Can You Make Saltine Crack Candy With Different Candy Chips?
Of course you can! Vary this toffee recipe with butterscotch, dark chocolate, or white chocolate chips. This simple candy is one of the easiest candy recipes that you can make.
Cracker Candy Ingredient Notes to Make Saltine Cracker Candy
Not only are the ingredients for this cracker candy recipe simple, like butter and brown sugar, they also provide the perfect mix of sweet and salty. Find them easily in your kitchen, or at any grocery store.
- Saltine Crackers: This Christmas crack recipe makes two sleeves of crackers, or about 64 of them. For the cracker layer for the toffee candy.
- Chocolate Chips: One 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips. Use any brand of chocolate.
- Pecans: Use chopped pecans, or any type of nuts you like. You will love this recipe because of it’s versatility.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions to Make Christmas Crack Recipe
Looking for even more ways to make saltine cracker candy? This candy made with saltine crackers with a chocolate topping that you pour over crackers. Try these tips for cracker candy ingredients.
- Different Salted Crackers: Use water crackers, Graham crackers, or Ritz crackers to vary your flavor.
- Pretzel Thins: Instead of saltines, try pretzel thins for this simple recipe.
- Candy Canes: In addition to melted chocolate chips, add crushed candy canes on top of this holiday treat for this easy cracker candy recipe.
- Cracker Candy without Chocolate Layer: Skip the chocolate and just use the toffee layer with sprinkles.
How to Make Toffee Crack Candy
Just follow these three simple steps to make this crispy Christmas cracker candy. It’s so easy to make, and uses simple ingredients.
These are the basic steps for making saltine crack candy. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Prep the Toffee Saltine Crack
First, preheat the oven and prepare your rimmed baking tray. You can use parchment paper or aluminum foil for your pan. Be sure to cover in cooking spray to make the process easier.
Step 2: Arrange the Saltine Crackers in a Single Layer
Next, arrange the crackers in a single layer, covering the whole baking sheet. Then in a saucepan, cook the butter and brown sugar, Boil for 3 minutes and pour the brown sugar mixture over the saltines. Make sure cracker covered completely.
Step 3: Bake and Sprinkle the Chocolate Chips on Top of the Crackers and Spread
Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and sprinkle the chips over the mixture in a single layer. Melt the chocolate. Spread the melted chocolate chips over the saltine toffee layer and finely refrigerate for about a half hour. Break the candy into pieces after candy cool. Store Christmas Crack in an airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe FAQs for Christmas Cracker Candy
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe for Saltine Toffee
- Add Sprinkles: Fun and festive sprinkles are such a colorful way to make this candy. Sprinkle on top of the chocolate.
- Nuts: Switch out the pecans for walnuts or peanuts if you wish or leave them out, or if you have nut allergies.
- Variation Tip: Use different colored chocolate melts to drizzle on top for even more Christmas color to the Toffee Saltine Crack.
- Alternate Ingredient: Candies add a nice touch to this toffee crack. Try adding coated chocolate candies on top, or replace crackers with pretzel thins.
Saltine Crack Candy
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Place crackers in a single layer, covering the entire baking sheet.
- Boil butter and sugar for one minute; pour over crackers.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from over and quickly place chocolate chips on top in a single layer.
- As chocolate chips melt, spread into an even coating.
- Refrigerate until hard (at least 30 minutes) and break into pieces.
- Add Sprinkles: Fun and festive sprinkles are such a colorful way to make this crack candy.
- Nuts: Switch out the pecans for walnuts or peanuts if you wish or leave them out if you are afraid of nut allergies.
- Variation tip: Use different colored chocolate melts to drizzle on top for even more christmas color.
- Alternate ingredient: Candies add a nice touch to this toffee crack. Try adding coated chocolate candies on top.