This old fashioned Egg Salad recipe is a classic recipe passed down from my grandmother. It’s flavorful and creamy and makes the perfect sandwich. This is an easy basic egg salad recipe that every home cook should have.
Old Fashioned Egg Salad Recipe
This recipe takes the basic egg salad recipe up a few notches. There is mayonnaise, mustard, green onion, paprika and salt and pepper mixed together into perfection.
One of the memories I have of my grandmother is her packing lunch for our annual road trip to the Jersey shore. We would rent a house big enough to accommodate our whole family and spend the week in Ocean City, New Jersey.
My grandmother would fill her big blue cooler with sandwiches wrapped in waxed paper, assorted fruits and a big batch of her famous brownies. Nestled next to the cooler in the trunk of the car would be her plaid drink cooler filled with iced tea.
Every summer would be the same. We’d stop at a rest area along the way, unpack the cooler and eat at a picnic table somewhere between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It was a lot like the scene in National Lampoon’s Vacation (minus the dog mishap).
There would always be a variety of sandwiches – one of which was egg salad. As a kid it was not my favorite. I would always go for the balony and cheese but as an adult…it would have been my first choice!
I still think of my grandmother every time I make egg salad. It’s one of those recipes that reminds me of her and makes me smile. We still go to the Jersey Shore every year for vacation.
Every time we pass a rest area along the way, I think of those childhood trips. The memories are priceless.
A Basic Egg Salad Recipe
If you like deviled eggs, chances are you’ll love egg salad. This easy, classic recipe is a cinch to make and a great way to use up leftover Easter eggs.
This recipe only takes minutes to make – it’s perfect for a quick lunch. And, if you’re trying to limit your carbs, you could always serve it in a lettuce cup instead of on bread.
Tips for Making this 5 Star Egg Salad Recipe
- Check out this post to learn how to make perfect hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel.
- Use this handy tool to make chopping eggs super easy.
- I always use this measuring cup when I’m measuring goopy or sticky ingredients. There’s no scraping!
- Use my House Seasoning Blend instead of salt and pepper for even more flavor
Looking for More Recipes with Hard Boiled Eggs?
- My Mom’s Classic Deviled Eggs
- Best Deviled Eggs Recipe
- Paula Deen Deviled Eggs (Traditional Southern Deviled Eggs)
- 5 Star Egg Salad
- How to Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs that are Easy Peel
Looking for more? Check out all of the hard boiled eggs recipes on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Old Fashioned Egg Salad Recipe
- Peel and diced hard boiled eggs into small pieces.
- Place egg into medium sized bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Carefully stir ingredients together.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.