These grilled Sticky Chicken Kabobs are a flavor explosion with a sticky sauce & caramelized. It’s my favorite grilled chicken breast marinade. They are the perfect summer-time food! With these grilled chicken kabobs, you will dominate your summer bbqs!
These easy sticky chicken skewers have easily become a family favorite! The sauce has sweet, Asian-inspired flavors and when you grill it, the chicken gets all sticky and caramelized.
When you grill these chicken kabobs, the aromas will blow you away! You can smell every ounce of flavor that is coating the chicken. You’ll instantly become hungry. It’s one of our all time favorite grilled chicken kabob recipes.
The Secret to this Grilled Chicken Kabob Marinade
The secret to this simple sticky chicken kabob recipe is the sauce. It’s layer upon layer of flavors! Just like my Crock Pot Sticky Chicken, this recipe is full of Asian flavor.
This is one of my favorite grilled chicken kabob marinade recipes. Because the sauce is so flavorful, you really don’t need a lot of it. Garlic, onion and fresh ginger are the aromatics. They’re combined with soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. For a sweetness, there’s ketchup and brown sugar.
How long to grill chicken kabobs
The best part about this recipe is you can make the grilled chicken kabob marinade a day or two ahead of time. In fact, I think it’s better if you do. It gives the sauce time to cool down and for all of the flavors to become one with each other.
- Step 1: Saute diced onions.
- Step 2: Next, grate fresh ginger and add it to the onions.
- Step 3: Then, add minced garlic.
- Step 4: Combine ketchup and brown sugar.
- Step 5: Next, add soy sauce.
- Step 6: Stir in apple cider vinegar.
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT THESE GREAT RECIPES
- Crock Pot Sticky Chicken
- The Best Grilled Chicken Marinade
- The Best Grilled Pork Chops
- Grilled Sticky Shrimp
Looking for more? Check out all of the best grilled recipes on It Is A Keeper.
- Step 7: Next, add sesame oil.
- Step 8: Then, crushed red pepper.
- Step 9: Add the mixture to the sautéed onions, garlic and ginger.
- Step 10: Cut grilled chicken into chunks and skewer them.
- Step 11: Reserve some grilled chicken marinade and pour the reset over chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 24 hours. Grill until cooked through.
Can You Make This Grilled Chicken Kabob Marinade Ahead of Time?
A few hours before I’m ready to grill, I’ll put the grilled chicken kabobs in the fridge until I’m ready to grill.
Tips For The BEST chicken kabobs
- You can use chicken breast or thighs in this recipe.
- If you’re using bamboo skewers, make sure you soak them in water for at least 20 minutes. This will prevent them from burning when you grill them.
- If you use thinly sliced chicken, these kabobs grill up in no time.
- Baste the chicken as it grills for extra flavor and stickiness.
- Enjoy and let everyone sit in awe of your award winning chicken kabobs!
Shop This Recipe
Sticky Chicken on a Stick
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken - cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup onion - minced
- 8 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger - grated
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Bamboo or metal skewers
- If using bamboo skewers, soak skewers in water for at least 20 minutes. This will prevent the skewers from burning on the grill.
- Heat vegetable oil in medium saucepan. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes; Remove from heat and cool sauce completely. (This step can be completed 1-2 days ahead of time.)
- Place chicken in a resealable bag and pour half of the sauce over chicken; reserve remaining sauce for basting.
- Close bag and knead to ensure all chicken is coated in sauce. Refrigerate for 6 hours to overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and throw marinade away.
- Thread chicken onto the skewers.
- Spray grill lightly with cooking spray and preheat grill on medium high.
- Place chicken on grill and grill until well browned on one side, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Turn chicken and baste with sauce.
- Grill another 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and baste again.
- Continue grilling until well caramelized and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove chicken and serve with reserved sauce.
- Can be Doubled: This is a great recipe for a crowd. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately. After all, we all love barbeque.
- Wrap in Foil: To keep your grill from getting completely sticky. wrap the kabobs in foil
- Bake: No Grill, No Problem. You can bake these Kabobs in the oven.
- Skewers: Furthermore, it is really important to soak the wooden skewers for about a half an hour before using to prevent them burning.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.
This Sticky Chicken Recipe was adapted from a recipe I found on WNEP’s Home & Backyard.