This Pull Apart Christmas Tree Bread is the perfect savory snack for your Christmas entertaining spread. This cheesy, garlicky appetizer in a Christmas tree shape, topped with tomatoes and herbs, is quick and easy to make, and looks gorgeous.
Christmas Tree Bread: Perfect for a Holiday Party
If you’re hosting a Christmas dinner party, this pull apart Christmas tree bread can make a great addition to your table. Depending on whether your party is formal or casual, you may need to plan accordingly. Either way, a great Christmas party doesn’t have to cost too much.
For a formal Christmas party, make sure to have everything laid out on the dinner table. Decorations, such as table runners, candlesticks, and placeholder cards are easy ways to make your gathering both classy and festive.
For a casual party, create a cozy atmosphere with a potluck or buffet table. Guests can grab food while mingling with one another. Play Christmas music or plan some holiday games to break the ice.
Why This Pull-Apart Christmas Tree Recipe is a Keeper
- 30 Minutes: This recipe comes together really quick because it uses premade dough.
- Easy Ingredients: All easy ingredients and very little prep.
- Family Friendly: This Christmas tree cheese bread is a real crowd pleaser.
- Adaptable: Make this Christmas appetizer with any of your favorite cheeses and herbs.
Can You Make this Pull Apart Bread Recipe Keto?
If you want to make this recipe Keto or gluten free, make sure you use a dough that is compatible with your dietary needs. As for cheese, a whole milk, organic cheese will be the most suitable for a Keto diet. Try to avoid processed cheeses as well, as these are much less healthy.
Ingredient Notes for Christmas Tree Pull Apart Bread
The ingredients for this recipe are delicious and extremely simple- perfect for planning a get-together on a time limit. This holiday appetizer will be a part of your new Christmas tradition.
- Cheese: Cheese sticks or string cheese can be easily melted for your pull-apart garlic bread.
- Grands Homestyle Biscuits: Or any of your favorite brands, or other yeast roll.
- Garlic powder: You can also use fresh garlic as well.
- Pretzel sticks for trunk: Use any kind of pretzel sticks you’d like.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for the Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread Appetizer
- Dough – Use pizza dough from your local pizza place instead of store-bought pizza dough, or make your own dough recipe on a floured surface. It’s also possible to use crescent rolls for these baked pizza balls.
- Seasoning – An garlic powder and Italian seasoning or fresh herbs will make this recipe even more delicious. Brush the top with butter and the seaonings.
- Meat– Stuff with pepperoni slices or sausage for even more flavor.
- Twists: Instead of rolls, make the bread into twists- perfect for dipping!
How to Make Pull Apart Christmas Tree Bread
Making a beautiful Christmas appetizer has never been easier. This pull apart garlic bread, stuffed with cheese and with marinara for dipping, will be an instant hit with your guests. They will love this recipe.
These are the basic steps for making Christmas tree pull apart bread. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
STEP 1: Prepared Baking Sheet
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. A cookie sheet can also be used. Cut each cheese stick into 4 equal size pieces. Then, divide pizza dough into two pieces, flatten a little, and place 2 cheese cubes inside each piece of dough. Pinch the dough around the cheese to the center and roll to make a ball.
STEP 2: Arrange a Tree-shaped Pattern on Cookie Sheet
Arrange the bread dough in the shape of a Christmas tree. Start at the bottom of the baking sheet for the base of the tree. Place 7 dough balls seam side down, place 6 for the next row, and so on, until you reach the top. Next, in a small microwavable bowl, melt the butter. Whisk together melted butter and mix in the garlic powder. Brush the butter mixture over the entire tree. Sprinkle on mozzarella cheese and parsley, then evenly distribute the tomatoes onto each roll.
STEP 3: Bake the Tree Pull Apart Bread Recipe
Finally, place balls in the oven seam-side down and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Place pretzel sticks at the base of the tree for the trunk. Serve this warm with ranch or marinara sauce and enjoy!
Recipe Frequently Asked Questions for Garlic Bread
Expert Tips for Making This Christmas Tree Pull-Apart Bread Recipe
There are lots of exciting ways to experiment with this pull apart bread recipe. Here are some tips to help you create the perfect holiday appetizer:
- Pinch Seams: Make sure to properly pinch seams together to prevent cheese from bubbling outside of the biscuit dough.
- Brush Egg Wash: Brush on top of the rolls with egg wash for a golden brown color.
- Different Tomatoes: Utilize different colored cherry tomatoes, such as yellow, purple, and orange.
- Olives: Try olives to decorate your tree pull apart bread recipe.
- Variation tip: Parmesan and herbs will make this delicious side dish even better. Fresh rosemary, oregano, and basil are great for your tree. Try using pepper strips, too. Cream Cheese sauce is great for dipping too.
- Dietary consideration tip: Lower fat biscuit dough and reduced fat cheese can be used to make this recipe a little more calorie friendly.
- Hot Wing: Fill with spicy cheese, or serve with blue cheese and your favorite wing sauce for this homemade bread.
Pull Apart Christmas Tree Bread
- 6 String cheese
- 5 Cheddar cheese sticks
- 5 Pepper jack cheese sticks
- 2 cans Grands Homestyle Biscuits
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ⅓ cup Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ⅓ cup Parsley
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese, fine shred
- Pretzel sticks , for trunk
- Cut each cheese stick into 4 equal size pieces
- Split each biscuit in half, flatten a little and place 2 cheese cubes in the middle
- Pinch the dough to the center and roll to make a ball
- Start at the bottom of the baking sheet for the base of the tree with 7 balls
- The next row will be 6 balls and so on and so on
- Melt the butter and mix in the garlic powder
- Brush butter mixture over entire tree
- Sprinkle on cheese and parsley then evenly distribute the tomatoes
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown
- Place pretzel sticks at the base of the tree for the trunk
- Serve with ranch and marinara and enjoy!
- Different Tomatoes: Utilize different colored cherry tomatoes, yellow, purple and orange, etc.
- Olives: Try olives to decorate your tree.
- Variation tip: Fresh rosemary, basil are great for your tree. Try using pepper strips too.
- Egg Wash: Brush with egg wash for great color.
- Dietary consideration tip: Lower fat biscuit dough and reduced fat cheese can be used to make it a little more calorie friendly.
- Hot Wing: Fill with Spicy cheese, serve with blue cheese and your favorite wing sauce.