Creamy Cracked Chicken Soup is the ultimate comfort food. There is nothing like a steaming bowl of this creamy chicken soup on a cold day!
This Chicken Crack Soup recipe, will easily become one of your favorites! The soup is loaded with chicken, bacon, cream cheese, and ranch flavoring. It only takes 35 minutes to make start to finish, prep time included. If you love cozying up to a nice warm bowl of soup on a cold winter day you have to check out this iInstant Pot Soup guide for more great soup recipes and ideas!
MORE CREAMY SOUP RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Cheeseburger Soup | Broccoli Cheese Soup | Creamy BLT Soup
What We Love About This Recipe
- 35 Minute Meal: This chicken crack soup is ready from start to finish in just 35 minutes!
- Family Friendly: Even your picky eaters will love this soup.
- Makes Great Leftovers: Soup is perfect for leftovers as you could reheat a bowl of this soup and it will be just as good as it was when it was fresh!
- Low Carb: This is recipe is a great low carb option!
- Bacon: You will need 1/3 cups of raw chopped bacon, this is equivalent to approximately 4 slices of bacon.
- Chicken: Two chicken breasts that have been sliced thinly.
- Ranch Seasoning: You can use dry ranch seasoning mix, you could alternatively make homemade ranch seasoning with a variety of herbs and spices.
- Onion: One small onion that have been diced.
- Celery: Dice 2 stalks of celery.
- Carrots: Two large carrots or 3 smaller carrots, peel and dice the carrots.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic or pre minced canned garlic.
- Chicken Broth: Low sodium or low fat chicken broth can be used as well.
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Salt & Pepper or House Seasoning Blend.
How to Make Chicken Crack Soup
These are the basic steps for making this Cracked Chicken Soup recipe. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: PREPPING
First you will need to start by peeling and chopping up your carrots, onion, celery, bacon, and chicken breasts. While you are doing so, heat up your dutch oven on the stove.
STEP 2: COOK THE BACON AND CHICKEN
Once the dutch oven has been heated, add the bacon the pot along with some oil and cook for about 3-4 minutes until fully cooked. Remove bacon, then add the thinly sliced chicken breast along with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and half of the ranch packet. Cook for 5-7 minutes, making sure the chicken is at 165F degrees with a meat thermometer and then remove.
STEP 3: MAKING THE SOUP
Then to your stock pot add your diced onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 3 minutes until translucent then add minced garlic, cook for 1 more minute, make sure that you stir the vegetables. Finally, add cooked chicken and bacon back to the pot along with the chicken stock and cream cheese.
STEP 4: ADD HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM
Once the broth is hot after cooking for about 4 minutes, add your heavy whipping cream then broil to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Top with a few pieces of chopped bacon, cheddar cheese, and chives/scallions.
Prep and Storage Tips
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
Make this recipe ahead of time follow the steps as normal and store in a large airtight container in the fridge. This is perfect to make at the beginning of the week and enjoy through the week days whether you bring some to work or heat up a bowl for dinner.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
You can store any leftovers in a large airtight container in the fridge. This creamy chicken soup will be good for 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
To freeze this crack chicken soup recipe, pour individual servings in separate freezers bag (this makes it easy when you want to have one serving of soup without reheating the entire batch). This crack chicken soup will be good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS RECIPE
To reheat, add your soup either from the freezer or fridge in a saucepan over medium until it is hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
The term cracked chicken refers to the type of seasoning, this originally has been rumored to have started in Michigan.
For this recipe, you do not need to worry about that as the chicken gets cooked because the stock gets added.
Yes, this recipe can easily be doubled or halved, just increase or decrease the ingredients proportionally.
No, the consistency should not be too watery, it should be more creamy and thick. To help thicken your soup you can add a little more cream cheese or you can mix together water and flour, then add that too the mixture and let the soup simmer for a few minutes and that should give it a thicker consistency.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: Soup is great to make for a larger crowd, just increase the ingredients proportionally for your desired amount. Later freeze any leftovers.
- Chicken Thighs: Really, you could swap chicken breasts for chicken thighs!
- Instant Pot: Your Instant Pot is a great way to make this cracked chicken soup.
- Add Veggies: Add baby spinach or broccoli to this creamy crack chicken soup for even more flavor and depth.
- Noodles: Try adding some pasta or spaghetti to this soup and make a crack chicken noodle soup.
- Cheat: For example, shred a rotisserie chicken for this soup.
- Keto: Truly a great low carbs recipe.
What to Serve with Cracked Chicken Soup
- Garlic Herb Rolls
- Air Fryer Garlic Naan Bread
- Ranch Crackers
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Cracked Chicken Soup
- ⅓ cup Chopped Raw Bacon, approximately 4 slices
- 2 Chicken Breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tablespoon Ranch Seasoning, or more to taste
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Stalks Celery, diced
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 2-4 oz Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Heat a dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp, about 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the cooked bacon to a clean plate.
- Season the chicken with half of the ranch seasoning, salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the hot bacon fat and cook until well browned, about 5-7 minutes, or when chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and place the onions, celery and carrots in the stockpot. (Add additional oil or butter, if needed.)
- Cook the vegetables until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to cook 1 more minute.
- Add the chicken and bacon back to the stockpot, along with the chicken broth and cream cheese.
- Once the broth is hot, about 3-4 minutes, add the heavy whipping cream and increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 2 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: Soup is great to make for a larger crowd, just increase the ingredients proportionally for your desired amount.
- Chicken Thighs: You could swap chicken breasts for chicken thighs!
- Instant Pot: You could alternatively use your Instant Pot to make this cracked chicken soup.