Old Fashioned Banana Bread with Streusel Topping is a family favorite that will make your taste buds dance. Perfect for breakfast or dessert, this kid-friendly treat is a breeze to make and enjoy anytime.
Our Old Fashioned Banana Bread with Streusel Topping is a true favorite, boasting the perfect balance of sweetness and warmth. Unlike other recipes floating around, ours combines the goodness of baking basics and pantry staples, guaranteeing a delightful outcome every time. We’re here to solve your quest for the ultimate banana bread with an added touch of an irresistible streusel topping.
If you’re looking for more sweet bread recipes, try these Strawberry Bread, Mom’s Zucchini Bread, and Apple Bourbon Bread Pudding. And, if muffins are more your speed, give these Banana Muffins a try.
Why We Love This Cinnamon Banana Bread Recipe
Discover the reasons why our old-fashioned cinnamon banana bread has captured our hearts and taste buds. This recipe isn’t just about baking; it’s about creating cherished moments and indulging in a slice of nostalgia.
- Easy Ingredients: With common baking basics and pantry staples, this good recipe is a breeze to whip up.
- Family Friendly: This moist and flavorful banana bread is a hit with all ages, making it the best banana bread for family gatherings. It is full of banana flavor.
- Great for Breakfast or Dessert: Enjoy it warm from the oven as a hearty breakfast or as a satisfying dessert. This recipe makes a nice size loaf good for many uses.
Ingredient Notes for Classic Banana Bread Recipe
- Butter: Softened butter is a foundational ingredient in baking that contributes not only to the rich flavor but also to the tender texture to make this banana bread exceptional.
- Cream Cheese: Adding softened cream cheese to our banana bread recipe might seem unconventional, but it’s the secret to achieving that irresistibly soft and velvety texture.
- Sugar: Sugar serves a dual purpose in this recipe. Beyond its obvious role as a sweetener, sugar also contributes to the bread’s structure and tenderness.
- Mashed Banana: Overripe bananas are the star of the show, providing natural sweetness, moisture, and a distinct banana essence to the bread. Freeze bananas until ready to make this easy recipe.
- Dry Ingredients: Flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar, a key component of the streusel topping, contributes a rich molasses flavor and deep color.
- Butter: For the streusel topping, be sure to fully melt the butter before adding it the the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Ground Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon brings warmth and complexity to our banana bread’s flavor profile.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions to Make Old Fashioned Banana Bread
While our old-fashioned banana bread is already a delectable delight, we understand the joy of adding your personal touch. This is your opportunity to explore creative twists and adapt the recipe to match your needs for this quick bread.
- Low-Fat Cream Cheese: Opt for low-fat cream cheese for a slightly lighter version without compromising the taste of this moist banana bread.
- Sugar Substitute: Easily adapt the recipe to dietary needs by using your favorite sugar substitute.
How to Make Old Fashioned Banana Bread Recipe with Streusel Topping
These are the basic steps for making Fluffy Banana Bread with Streusel Topping. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Prepare Oven and Loaf Pans
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then grease and then flour 2 loaf pans.
Step 2: Make a Butter and Sugar Cream Cheese Mixture
Next, in a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese. Then add the sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Next, add the eggs one at a time, beating after each egg is added.
Step 3: Make Flour Mixture and Combine with Butter Mixture
Then in a separate mixing bowl add the flour, baking soda and salt and then stir to combine. With your mixer on a low speed, carefully add the flour mixture into the cream cheese mixture until it’s all well combined.
Step 4: Add Mash Bananas and Chocolate Chips
Next, add in the mashed bananas and stir. If adding chocolate chips, toss them in flour before folding them into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans.
Step 5: Make Streusel Topping
Then in a small bowl, add the brown sugar, flour, melted butter, and ground cinnamon. Stir the ingredients to create the streusel and then sprinkle it over the batter before baking.
Step 6: Bake
Lastly, put the loaf pans in the preheated oven and bake for one hour. Cover the pans with foil for the last 15 minutes to prevent browning. Finally, when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean, it is done. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
Recipe FAQs for Homemade Banana Bread
Expert Tips for Making This Tasty Old Fashioned Banana Bread Recipe
Our expert tips are here to guide you through every step of creating the grandma’s banana bread recipe. These insights have been crafted from years of baking experience, ensuring your journey in the kitchen is not only enjoyable but also incredibly rewarding.
- Chocolate Chips: Elevate your loaf of banana bread by adding chocolate chips to the batter. You can also get creative and experiment with butterscotch or peanut butter chips for a unique twist.
- Extract: For extra banana flavor try adding a little banana extract or for richness a little vanilla extract.
- Go a Little Nutty: For those who enjoy a satisfying crunch in their banana bread, consider incorporating a teaspoon or two of nuts like chopped walnuts or pecans to make a banana nut bread recipe. It is a great recipe to adapt that is why your family will love this recipe.
- Make this Recipe: With a drizzle of luscious caramel sauce over the top. The rich caramel complements the banana’s sweetness while adding a luxurious touch to each slice. A buttermilk glaze is a great way to finish it too.
- Muffins: Make banana bread into individual muffins. They are fabulous. Store in an airtight container to stay fresh.
What to Serve with Old Fashioned Banana Bread with Streusel Topping
- Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Parfait with Fruit and Granola
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Old Fashioned Banana Bread with Streusel Toppin
- ¾ cup Butter, softened
- 8 ounces Cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 3 cups Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1-1/2 cups Bananas, about 4 medium mashed
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Chocolate chips, optional
- 6 tablespoon Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans.
- Using and electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Slowly add sugar and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. While mixer is on low-speed, slowly add flour mixture to cream cheese mixture until just combined. Stir in mashed bananas.
- If adding chocolate chips, combine chips and flour in a separate bowl then fold into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into greased loaf pans.
- Stir together all ingredients for streusel topping. Sprinkle streusel mixture evenly over each.
- Bake for one hour or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. To prevent over browning, you may need to cover loaves with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking. Cool pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans. Cool an additional 30 minutes before slicing.
- Chocolate Chips: Are a great addition. Alternatively, how about butterscotch or Peanut Butter Chips. Yum!
- Go a Little Nutty: Try adding Walnuts to this delicious banana bread.
- Top it off: Try a drizzle of caramel sauce on top of the bread and you will be in heaven.