These Watergate Pistachio Cookies are a tasty twist on traditional ambrosia Watergate salad. Chewy and crisp, with a sweet and nutty flavor. They are a true crowd pleaser!
This Watergate Pistachio Cookies recipe is the one for you if you’re fan of ambrosia salad or the nut . These pistachio pudding cookies are packed with flavor and couldn’t be easier to make. With 6 simple ingredients you can make this pistachio cookie recipe.
To learn more about the health benefits of pistachios, visit Heath Line.
MORE PISTACHIO RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Easy Cookie Recipe with Pudding Mix
- Easy Ingredients: All you need is 6 simple ingredients, staring with a box of cake mix. It is so easy to make. The cake mix has the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda and other ingredients you need.
- Family Friendly: Your family and friends will love the nutty pistachio flavor in these tasty pistachio pudding cookies. It will be their favorite holiday cookies.
- Adaptable: Add white chocolate chips or top with a simple icing to spice things up.
- Cake Mix: Yellow or white cake mix will work best for this recipe. It has everything you need including baking soda and salt.
- Pistachio Pudding Mix: To get that great color and pistachio flavor you will need pistachio flavored instant pudding. Don’t worry it will not have an artificial pistachio taste and it will insure that they’ll stay soft.
- Nuts: You can use unsalted nuts or a light salt version. I prefer the unsalted so I can control the amount. Chopped pistachios are great too.
Variations and Substitutions to Make this Recipe
- Green Food Dye – To enhance the green color is perfect for these cookies, try adding green food coloring.
- White Chocolate Chips – White chocolate chips are a great additional to add another layer of sweetness to your cookies.
- Extract: Try adding flavor with almond extract or vanilla extract.
- Food Processor: You can mix everything in a food processor to make it easy if you wish.
How to Make Pistachio Pudding Cookies
These are the basic steps for making Watergate Cookies. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions. This recipe is perfect for all the nutty pistachio lovers and by using pudding, they are always soft and chewy. If you try this recipe, please let us know. We love reader interactions and thank you for sharing if you enjoy it.
STEP 1: PREPPING
Start by preheating oven to 350 degrees and use large baking sheets with parchment paper. Chop up your pecans then set aside.
STEP 2: MAKE PISTACHIO COOKIE DOUGH
Next, in a large bowl, using a handheld mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the box of cake mix, eggs, oil, shredded coconut, and instant pistachio pudding mix. You want to mix all the ingredients together, then fold in the chopped pecans. Reserve some chopped pecans to top each cookie.
STEP 3: BAKE THE COOKIES
Using a cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon, place cookie dough balls 2 inches apart onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart and top with some pecans. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
Remove the cookie sheet from oven and allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. These Italian Pistachio Cookies are extremely soft and chewy cook until light brown on the bottom.
Prep and Storage Tips
HOW TO MAKE EASY COOKIE RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
It is so easy to make this recipe 2-3 days ahead, follow the steps as usual for making this pistachio recipe.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Let the cookies cool completely. Store Pistachio pudding cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or zip top plastic bag to keep the soft texture.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Freeze these best pistachio cookies in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. You can also freeze dough balls and have hot, fresh chewy cookies any time by pulling the amount you want and baking them fresh. No need to bake them all immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are trying to lower your sugar intake, you can make this recipe using a sugar free cake mix and pudding mix. The baked cookies with the flavor of pistachio and white chocolate chips still taste amazing and remember cookies are soft so handle carefully.
Easily double or half this recipe by increasing or decreasing the ingredients.
Since this recipe is using a pistachio flavor pudding, there is no need to use salted pistachios for this recipe. However, if you love the a cookie loaded with pistachio flavor, used shelled pistachios, salted or unsalted pistachios.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- Eggs: If you keep your eggs in the fridge, be sure to pull them out 1-2 hours before you make your cookies to allow them to come to room temperature.
- Coconut: When buying coconut shreds make sure you are using unsweetened coconut shreds.
- Icing: Make an easy icing drizzle by combing 2 cups of powdered sugar with vanilla and a milk as needed until light and fluffy or use your favorite recipe to frost the cooled cookie. This really is a quick cookie recipe.
What to Serve with Watergate Pistachio Cookies
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Watergate Pistachio Cookies
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 – 4 serving size pistachio pudding
- ½ C unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ C chopped pecans
- 2 large eggs
- ½ C canola oil
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and use parchment paper to line a cookie sheet.
- Next, in a mixing bowl, add the box of cake mix, eggs, oil, shredded coconut, and pistachio pudding.
- Beat all the ingredients together, then fold in the chopped pecans.
- Reserve some chopped pecans to top each cookie.
- Using a cookie scoop, add the cookie dough onto the parchment paper and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.