These Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are a delicious and easy dinner idea. Juicy and tender chicken, bursting with flavor and seasoned just right, all cooked in 30 minutes. Whether it’s for a busy weeknight dinner or a festive gathering, these tacos will have everyone coming back for more.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are a delicious and easy-to-make meal that is perfect for busy weeknights or entertaining guests. This recipe uses the magic of the Instant Pot to cook the chicken to perfection. In just a fraction of the time it would take using traditional methods. The result is juicy, savory chicken that is perfect for tacos.
With a variety of toppings and sauces, you can customize these tacos. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just looking for a satisfying weeknight meal, Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are sure to be a hit.
MORE TACO RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Pressure cooker chicken tacos are a fantastic meal option for so many reasons. Not only are they super quick to whip up, but there is also so many ways you can change ingredients and make them your own.
- 30-Minute Meal: These instant pot chicken tacos are a great 30-minute meal option. With the help of the Instant Pot, the chicken can be cooked in no time, making it a perfect choice for busy weeknights or last-minute meals.
- Adaptable: This recipe is highly adaptable, so you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste preferences. You can add or remove spices, adjust the heat level, or even swap out the chicken for a vegetarian alternative.
- Makes Great Leftovers: The leftover chicken can be used for a variety of dishes, including salads, wraps, quesadillas, or even soups. This means that you can enjoy the delicious flavor of the tacos for days after you first make them.
Ingredient Notes for Pressure Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Chicken: If you prefer dark meat instead of white meat, you can swap out the chicken breast for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Taco Seasoning: For this recipe, you can use a pre-made taco blend from the store, or you can make your own taco seasoning for a more unique flavor.
- Salsa: Salsa is a great topping because it adds a burst of flavor and freshness. The salsa in this recipe is highly customizable so you can choose your favorite. Some good salsa options are homemade salsa, black bean corn salsa, and mango salsa.
Variations and Substitutions
If you’re a fan of a good chicken taco then you are going to love this easy recipe. With only about 4 ingredients you can get fresh chicken tacos in no time.
- Chicken Breast – You can use fresh or frozen chicken breast for these instant pot tacos. If you use frozen chicken breasts, just add an additional two minutes to the cooking of the chicken taco meat.
- Veggies – A great topping for chicken tacos is sautéed veggies. Sautéed bell peppers and onions are a classic combination that pairs perfectly with chicken, adding a touch of sweetness and crunch to each bite. Even diced tomatoes.
- Cooking variation – If you don’t have an instant pot, this recipe will also work in a slow cooker. You can cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Tacos in Instant Pot
These are the basic steps for making chicken tacos in Instant Pot. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions for this instant pot one-pot meal.
STEP 1: PREPARE AND COOK CHICKEN
Cut your skinless chicken breast into cubed pieces. In a bowl, mix together the cubed chicken and taco seasoning mix to season the chicken. Add chicken, water, and salt into your instant pot and stir to mix the ingredients. Set the Instant Pot on high pressure for 10 minutes and be sure the valve is in the sealing position.
STEP 2: SHRED THE CHICKEN
Once cooking the chicken for 10 minutes, allow the pressure to naturally release for about 5 minutes. Then move the valve from sealing to venting to release the rest of the pressure. Be sure to open the lid carefully. Remove the chicken from the instant pot and shred using two forks.
STEP 3: SERVING
Warm your soft taco shells in a hot pan or in the microwave. Build your taco by adding the chicken and the toppings of your choosing into the tortilla. Drizzle with lime juice and for extra flavor add sour cream and jalapeños.
Prep and Storage Tips for Shredded Chicken Tacos in the Pressure Cooker
HOW TO MAKE THIS SHREDDED CHICKEN TACO RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
To make these instant pot shredded chicken tacos ahead of time, simply cook your chicken accordingly and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. Whenever you’re ready to eat you can heat up the meat and add your topping. This would be a great dish to double the recipe and use as meal prep.
HOW TO STORE THIS FLAVORFUL SHREDDED MEXICAN CHICKEN RECIPE
Allow to cool completely and place chicken meat in an airtight container and keep in the fridge. Chicken is best if used within 3-5 days.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
After allowing the chicken to cool, transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible from a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for 3-4 months.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS RECIPE
The best way to reheat shredded chicken is to cook it in a skillet on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated throughout.
Frequently Asked Questions
Shredding a chicken with two forks is the most commonly known way but it can be tough and take a while. Using an electric mixer to shred chicken is a quick and easy option.
Yes! You can season your chicken breast however you desire. A great alternative is a chipotle, adobo seasoning, or chili powder.
Yes, you can, but there is a way to fix dry chicken! Stir in about half a cup of chicken stock with your chicken and store it for about an hour. The chicken will absorb the moisture and not be so dry.
Expert Tips for Making This Instant Pot Taco Recipe
Making chicken tacos in the Instant Pot is a fast and convenient way to have a delicious taco night that can be enjoyed by your family or friends. Here we provide some helpful steps on how to get the most out of your Instant Pot when making these tasty tacos.
- Cream Cheese: If you want a more creamy chicken mixture, try adding a block of cream cheese to your instant before cooking.
- Chicken Stock: Instead of using water, place chicken breasts in chicken broth! Using chicken broth will result in many juicers and flavorful chicken.
- Pressure Cooker: Using a pressure cooker is a great way to get delicious food quickly. Pressure cookers are also great for a hands-off cooking process.
- Taco Salad: If you love tacos but don’t want the extra carbs from the tortilla, you can take all the fixings and meat and mix together in a bowl to create a taco salad. All you need is some shredded lettuce, add the salsa, and then the shredded meat.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons taco spice mix
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 10-12 Tortillas
- Avocado, cut or mashed
- Lime wedges
- Jalapeños, Optional
- Sour cream, optional
- In a bowl mix together chicken cubes and taco spice mix.
- Add in the seasoned chicken, a cup of water, and salt to your instant pot and stir to mix evenly.
- Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE for 10 minutes, making sure the valve is in the SEALING position.
- Once done cooking, allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, then release pressure by manually moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING position.
- Carefully open the lid and push the CANCEL button.
- Remove the chicken pieces and place in a bowl to shred them using a fork.
- Heat the tortillas in a hot skillet.
- Build your tacos by adding shredded chicken to your tortilla and then topping with mashed avocado, salsa, and cilantro. For more flavor, can also add some sour cream and a few jalapenos. Squeeze some lime juice on top.
- Cream Cheese: If you want a more creamy chicken mixture, try adding in a block of cream cheese to your instant to before cooking.
- Chicken Stock: Instead of mixing the chicken with water use chicken stock! Using chicken stock will result in much juicer and flavorful chicken.
- Pressure Cooker: Using a pressure cooker is great way to get delicious food quick. Pressure cookers are also great for a hands-off cooking process.