This easy Mexican Rice is a simple dish recipe that’s full of flavor.
Maybe it’s just me but sometimes I find myself at a loss about what to make to with the main dish at dinner. It seems I get in stuck in a rut with salads or canned veggies. If your family is anything like mine then they get bored with the same old things pretty fast.
Hey y’all it’s Susanne from New South Charm back again this month with another great recipe to help you take care of your family.
This is a simple rice side dish that is perfect for Mexican food but let me tell you a little secret we also love this rice with burgers and grilled chicken.
One of the best things about rice is that it’s inexpensive very versatile. Rice is also very easy to use in recipes like this one.
To make simply melt butter in a skillet then cook onions bell peppers and and garlic until tender. Then add rice to skillet cooking for two minutes stirring constantly. Next stir in tomatoes and chilies, corn, black beans, cumin, broth, salt and pepper. Bring everything to a boil the cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes and then fluff with a fork. Garnish with lime juice and zest.
If you like this recipe I have another great rice side dish over on my blog Spicy Mushroom Rice that’s ready in just 15 minutes. If you’re looking for another great side dish for Mexican night you’ll love my recipe for Seasoned Black Beans.
Or try this great side dish with corn and bacon. Cheesy Bacon and Corn Casserole
Easy Mexican Rice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can sweet corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with the juice and zest of one lime
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat melt butter
- Add onions and peppers cook until tender and translucent
- Stir in garlic and continue to cook for about a minute or until fragrant
- Add rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly
- Add in diced tomatoes and chilies, black beans, corn, cumin, salt and pepper to the rice mixture.
- Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low, cook for 15 to 20 minutes
- Fluff with fork and stir lime zest and juice