Tex-Mex Ground Beef and Rice Skillet is a fiesta of flavor with savory ground beef, tomatoes, and spicy green chilies with fluffy rice for a filling and delicious meal. Perfect for busy weeknights, this easy one-pot wonder is sure to become a family favorite.
Tex Mex ground beef and rice bowls recipe is a simple yet flavorful one-pot meal. Full of protein and veggies. This recipe is a healthy and satisfying option for any night of the week. Plus, it’s incredibly versatile, so you can customize it to your liking with different spices and add-ins
Why We Love This Ground Beef and Rice Casserole Recipe
This ground beef rice recipe is perfect for those looking for a quick and easy dinner option. The recipe uses basic pantry staples, made in just one pan, which means minimal cleanup!
- 30-Minute Meal: This is a one-pan recipe that is easy to make and great for busy weeknights. Make in just 30 minutes.
- Easy Ingredients: The ingredients in this recipe are easy and simple pantry staples such as seasonings and beef broth.
- Makes Great Leftovers: This cheesy ground beef meal is great leftovers and makes a perfect lunch for the next day. Everyone will love this recipe.
Ingredient Notes for Ground Beef and Rice Casserole Recipe
- Ground Beef: We recommend using lean ground beef for this recipe. If you prefer, you can substitute and use ground turkey or chicken.
- Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies: This adds a flavorful kick to the dish. If you don’t like spicy food, you can swap for plain diced tomatoes.
- Rice: This recipe calls for leftover white rice, but use brown rice, basmati rice, jasmine rice, long grain rice, or use minute rice or instant rice. It is so quick to make.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements. Nutritional information for this delicious casserole is below.
Variations and Substitutions for Beef Casserole with Rice
This tex mex rice and hamburger recipe is sure to become a go-to meal in your household. It’s not only delicious and satisfying, but it’s also easy to customize based on what you have on hand.
- Cauliflower Rice: For a low-carb option, you can use cauliflower rice or wild rice, dirty rice, or whatever your family will love.
- Ground Turkey/ Ground Chicken: Instead of the beef substitute ground meat with ground turkey, ground pork, or chicken for a leaner protein option for this dinner recipe.
- Cooking variation: You can also cook this hamburger skillet recipe on the grill or in a slow cooker for a more hands-off meal.
How to Make Easy Ground Beef and Rice Skillet Recipes
Hamburger and rice casserole are extremely easy to make and perfect when you need a satisfying and comforting meal that comes together quickly all in one pot meal.
These are the basic steps for making ground beef and rice casserole. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions for this quick dinner.
Step 1: Brown Ground Beef
Place a large skillet on medium heat and add the ground beef and seasonings. Cook the ground beef and brown the ground beef then drain and return to the stove.
Step 2: Cook Vegetables
Add the vegetables and garlic to the pan. Continue to cook for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
Step 3: Add Rice and Simmer
Add in the white rice, beef broth or beef stock, Rotel, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir all ingredients together until well combined. Bring the mixed ingredients to a boil and then reduce the heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Step 4: Remove From Heat and Add Cheese to the Casserole Dish
Remove from the heat and sprinkle on a layer of cheese on top. Cover and let the beef and rice rest for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and gooey.
Recipe FAQs for this Beef and Rice with Veggies
Expert Tips for Making This Simple Ground Beef Recipe
This classic Tex-Mex dish is a great way to enjoy the hearty and flavorful combination of rice, ground beef, vegetables, and spices. It’s simple enough for beginner cooks yet delicious enough for experienced chefs. Whether a main course or a side dish, you can be sure it will be a hit with everyone at the table!
- Toppings: Adding toppings to your rice recipe will really complete the casserole. Sour cream or tortilla strips would be great for toppings.
- Different Seasonings: You can easily switch up the seasonings to customize it you your liking. Using a taco seasoning would be a great option. Onion Powder, garlic powder, or other seasonings are wonderful.
- Roasted Corn: For a complete Tex-Mex taste, adding roasted corn to your hamburger rice recipe is a perfect touch.
- Uses: You can eat this cheesy ground beef and rice right off the oven or use this mixture to fill a taco or burrito or stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage rolls.
What to Serve with Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Recipe
Tex Mex Ground Beef and Rice Skillet
- 1 pound Ground beef, lean
- 1 medium Yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium Red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons All Purpose Seasoning
- 10 oz Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, do not drain
- 1 ½ cups Beef broth or stock
- 1 cup Long grain rice
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, garnish if desired
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add ground beef, garlic, and seasoning. Brown ground beef and drain. Return to the stove at medium heat.
- Add in the garlic, onion, and peppers. Stir and continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until the onions and peppers are soften.
- Add the beef broth, rice, undrained Rotel, and Worcestershire Sauce and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Bring everything to a steady boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle a layer of cheese on top. Cover the skillet and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Toppings: Adding toppings to your rice skillet recipe will really complete the casserole. Sour cream or tortilla strips would be great for toppings.
- Different Seasonings: You can easily switch up the seasonings to customize it you your liking. Using a taco seasoning would be a great option.
- Roasted Corn: For a complete tex mex taste, adding roasted corn to your hamburger rice recipe is a perfect touch.
- Uses: You can eat this cheesy ground beef and rice right off the oven or use this mixture to fill a taco or burrito.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
This recipe is my personal adaption of an ethnic-inspired recipe. It is not intended to be an authentic recipe. I’ve recreated this recipe because I enjoy the flavors and I want to encourage my readers to expand their tastes and try new flavor combinations. The recipe, ingredients, and processes may have been adapted to make the recipe accessible to the average American. I have provided links to authentic versions of the recipe in the post above. I encourage you to visit these pages and learn more about the traditional version(s) of this recipe.