This Velveeta Rotel Dip is creamy, cheesy, and spicy. It is perfect for game night. In fact, it is a treat that everyone will enjoy at any get together. Enjoy this easy recipe with tortilla chips or crackers.
Rotel is a brand of canned tomato blend, combining vine-ripened diced tomatoes with green chilis and spices. The blend originated in the mid-twentieth century, growing in popularity by the 1950s.
Many variations of Rotel now exist, with different combinations of ingredients, such as hot peppers, which range from mild to very spicy. While this dip uses Rotel tomatoes, Rotel is also commonly used in chili, chicken dishes, and casseroles.
Why This Cheese Dip Recipe is a Keeper
Velveeta Rotel dip is the ultimate easy party dip for game day! Here are just a few reasons why you’ll love this party dip:
- Quick Recipe: This cheesy dip recipe comes together in no time. All you need to do is cook the hamburger meat and stir the rest of the ingredients together.
- Simple Ingredients: All of the ingredients for this Rotel dip are easy and inexpensive.
- Versatile: Serve this Velveeta queso dip with anything you’d like- crackers, chips, etc. Make this dip for parties add green chilies and your favorite additions.
Why is velveeta good for dips?
Velveeta is a good cheese for dips because of the smooth, creamy texture of the cheese, giving it the ability to melt well. It is a mixture of cheese, milk, and other ingredients, including whey protein concentrate and milk protein concentrate, which contribute to its smooth texture and ability to melt easily. Velveeta also doesn’t gum up and clump the way that traditional cheese can.
Ingredient Notes for this Chili Cheese Dip Recipe
This slow cooker chili cheese dip is packed with flavor and will have everyone’s mouth watering. Chili Cheese Crock Pot Dip is so easy to make and only requires 4 ingredients. Just wait until the cheese has melted and the dip is ready.
- Ground Beef: You will need a 1/2 pound of ground beef for this chili cheese velveeta dip.
- Velveeta Cheese: For this chili cheese dip with Velveeta you will need one 16 oz blocked cut into evenly sized cubes.
- Chili Seasoning: You will need a chili seasoning mix, I used the McCormick mix. If you don’t have a chili seasoning mix, you can make your own by combining garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cumin and black pepper.
- Beans: For this recipe, you will need a 15 ounce can of beans, you can use kidney or pinto beans.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for the Velveeta Chili Cheese Dip
In this recipe for the chili cheese dip, a homemade chili seasoning is one of the ingredients. however, you can use your favorite store brand if you prefer.
- Classic Velveeta: Use a spicy block of velveeta for this melty cheese chili recipe. You can use jalapeno if you like a dip is hot. It is an easy appetizer.
- Cooking variation: Make this recipe in the skillet on the stove top and serve in a fondue pot to keep the cheese dip warm or immediately directly out of the pan.
Special Equipment Needed to Make Chili Cheese Dip
Mini Crockpot: It will help you keep the dip warm, smooth and creamy.
How to Make Crock Pot Chili Cheese Dip
You can make this hot chili dip recipe for an party or get together. But of course, it is a game night favorite because everyone loves cheese and chili. It is simple to make.
These are the basic steps for making this hot chili cheese dip. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Cook Ground Beef
First, in a skillet, cook the ground beef until browned on the stovetop on medium heat. Drain the extra fat. Cube the Velveeta cheese. Crock Pot liners can be used for easy clean up.
Step 2: Add
Spray your crockpot with no stick oil. Then add half of the velveeta cubes to the bottom, they layer with ground beef, chili seasoning, beans, and then finish by topping with remaining cheese cubes. Stir until cheese is melted.
STEP 3: Cook the Cheese Dip with Chili
Put on lid and cook on low heat for three hours. Occasionally stir your crock pot chili cheese dip. You can transfer dip to a bowl and top with green onions and serve!
Recipe Tips and FAQs for the Crockpot Chili Cheese Dip in the Crock Pot
Expert Tips for Making This Slow Cooker Velveeta Cheese Recipe
It is easy to microwave to reheat leftover dip. Store the queso dip recipe in an airtight container until ready to use. Reheat in a microwave-safe bowl. This recipe is quick and delicious. It is a real crowd pleaser. You will make this easy and zesty dip often.
- Different Meats: In addition to the ground beef, you can also add other meats, like spicy sausage, bacon, or shredded chicken. Even hormel chili is great so try with a canned chili, homemade chili or chili with beans for this velveeta cheese dip.
- Thicker Dip: The dip will thicken with different cheeses, like Mexican cheese, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, or pepper jack. You can also thicken the dip with an extra can of Rotel or 2-3 tablespoons of milk.
- Garnish the Crockpot Chili Cheese Dip: Top this appetizer with diced tomatoes or fresh cilantro are perfect for garnishing this Rotel dip or try shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Velveeta Rotel Dip
- 1 pound ground beef
- 16 ounces process cheese, cubed (I used Velveeta)
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilis, I used Rotel brand
- In a skillet, cook ground bee until browned, drain off any fat.
- Next, add in the cubed process cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Finally, add in the diced tomatoes and green chilis and stir through.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: If you are making this for a large party, just double the ingredients and add to the crockpot, it should require the same amount of time.
- Add Ground Turkey for Ground Beef: You can swap the ground beef for ground turkey for a lower fat content.
- Make Nachos: Make Nachos using this cheesy chili dip recipe by adding it to the top of a pile of tortilla chips, along with salsa, green chilies, cilantro, and whatever else you’d like!