This King Ranch Beef Casserole is a tasty twist on one of the most popular recipes on It Is a Keeper. It’s one of the best easy crock pot recipes.
A few weeks ago I shared a recipe for Crockpot King Ranch Chicken and today I’m sharing a recipe for a different version of this recipe, King Ranch Beef Casserole.
Hi! It’s Susanne from New South Charm back again sharing another great recipe that your family is sure to love.
King Ranch Beef Casserole is one of my all-time favorite dinners. The combination of beef, cheese, and mushroom soup gives this recipe a delicious savory flavor. The savoriness of this recipe sets it apart from the traditional version which is made with chicken.
This version also has a slight Mexican flavor that separates it from the crockpot version I shared with you before. The addition of the taco seasoning to give it a little extra kick.
I recently had a friend ask why I recommend browning ground beef in butter. Since she asked I thought I’d share the answer with you as well. When cooking with very lean beef the components of the butter will help the beef to brown through without some pieces burning. Of course, if you don’t want to use butter you can use extra virgin olive oil or another cooking oil of your choice.
King Ranch Casserole no matter how you make it is a great dinner your family is going to love. If you’re looking for more great recipes like this one be sure to check out my recipes for King Ranch Chicken Casserole or my hubby’s favorite Taco Casserole. Does your family have a favorite casserole? I’d love to know what it is let me know in the comments below.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Easy Crock Pot Recipes: King Ranch Beef Casserole
King Ranch Beef Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 1 medium bell pepper - diced
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Tomatoes and Chilies
- 8 oz processed cheese - cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- House Seasoning Blend to taste
- 1 dash hot sauce - optional
- Preheat oven to 350⁰
- In a skillet over medium high heat melt butter and then add in pepper and onion cooking until they become tender and fragrant (2-3 minutes)
- Add beef salt and pepper to skillet then brown, drain fat
- Stir in packet of taco seasoning mixing until beef is evenly coated
- In a sauce pan over medium heat combine onion, bell pepper, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup,tomatoes with chilies, and the Velveeta cheese and one cup of the cheddar. Add in Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Stir occasionally until cheese is melted.
- Prepare a 9X13 casserole dish with coat with non-stick spray.
- After preparing your casserole dish, cover the bottom with crushed tortilla chips to create a crust
- Layer half the browned beef on top of the chips
- Then add half the sauce on top of the beef
- Repeat with chips, beef, and sauce
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese
- Bake at 350⁰ for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.