These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes come out perfect every time!
How to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
I’m a huge fan of my Instant Pot. I’ve made so many great recipes in a fraction of the time it would have taken me using traditional cooking methods. Some of my favorites are Instant Pot Ground Beef (it’s made from frozen beef), Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken and Instant Pot BBQ Ribs.
I’m always looking for new ways to cut down cooking time using my Instant Pot. These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are a great way to utilize your pressure cooker and free up your time (and stove).
The recipe starts with peeled potatoes. The potatoes are cut into quarters and placed in the Instant Pot and covered with water.
Secure the lid, adjust the settings and in no time, your potatoes are perfectly cooked!
Which type of potatoes should you use?
The best type of potatoes to use in this Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe (or any mashed potato recipe, for that matter) are Russet potatoes.
Russets have a higher starch content and product light and fluffy potatoes. Using other, waxier potatoes will give you a gummy or gluey consistency.
The Secret to the Perfect Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
The biggest secret to making perfect pressure cooker mashed potatoes is to use a potato ricer. This contraption turns cooked potatoes into perfectly mashed potatoes in minutes. You won’t believe how easy it is to use and clean up is so easy.
Expert Tips for Making Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
There are a few things you can do to make sure your pressure cooker potatoes come out perfect every time:
- Use Russet potatoes. They are the best variety for mashed potatoes.
- Use a potato ricer to give that light, lump-free texture.
- Add sour cream, butter and half and half to make the creamiest mashed potatoes you’ve ever tried.
Variations for Making Pressure Cooker Potatoes
This mashed potato recipe is a great basic recipe. You can really take it over the top by trying these variations:
- Add grated cheddar and cooked bacon crumbles
- Add a few peeled garlic cloves to the Instant Pot before cooking for delicious garlic mashed potatoes
- Stir in grated parmesan cheese and minced fresh rosemary
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
More Recipes You Might Like
- The Best Stove Top Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- The Best Mashed Potato Recipes
- Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- Mashed Potato Pancakes
Looking for more? Check out all of the best pressure cooker recipes on It Is a Keeper.
⭐⭐⭐ RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐⭐⭐
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it in the comment section below.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning Blend
- Put prepared potatoes in the Instant Pot.
- Pour enough water over the potatoes to just cover them.
- Add salt.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure and test the potatoes for doneness – a fork inserted in the potato should easily release.
- When potatoes are done, mash the potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Stir in butter, half and half, sour cream and House Seasoning Blend.
- You can add more half and half to reach your desired consistency.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/