With summer just around the corner, I thought I would share one of the most coveted recipes in my recipe box! This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork BBQ is absolutely, hands-down, one of the best recipes I have.
Whenever I make this recipe, I’m always asked for the recipe. It’s sweet. It’s tangy. It’s spicy. It’s perfect!
I came up with recipe quite some time ago. My husband loves pulled pork sandwiches and I set out on a quest to find the perfect recipe. Of course, I couldn’t find one that suited all of my needs, so I took my favorite parts of all of the recipes I found. The result is the recipe I’m about to share with you.
I’d like to say that it’s easy to make, especially because I use my good friend, the slow cooker. But, I’m not going to lie. Between the spice rub and the barbeque sauce, this recipe has a lot of ingredients. You also need patience. The pork needs to cook low and slow. But, with all of this being said, it’s worth it!
Over the years, I’ve come up with a few short cuts which I’ve shared below.
This Slow Cooker Pulled Pork BBQ goes perfectly with my Creamy Coleslaw — either on the sandwich or on the side. I also like to serve it with my homemade Bread and Butter Pickles.
If you’re looking to wow your family and friends this summer, give this recipe a try! It just might become the most coveted recipe in your recipe box too!
- 1-7 pound bone-in pork butt
- Spice rub recipe below
- 5 cups beef boullion
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 sandwich rolls
- Spicy BBQ Sauce recipe below
Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 oz tomato paste
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 Tbsp molasses
- 4 tsp prepared mustard
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp liquid smoke
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Rub entire roast with spice rub and place fat side up in slow cooker.
- Pour beef boullion into slow cooker and add vinegar.
- Cover and cook on high for 7-8 hours or until meat falls off the bone.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and place on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Using two forks, shred pork, removing excess fat and bone.
- Place a helping of pork on roll and top with Spicy BBQ Sauce.
Spicy BBQ Sauce
- In a large pot, saute onion in vegetable oil over medium heat until softened but not browned.
- Add all other ingredients and cook for 10-20 minutes, or until sauce thickens to desired consistency.
I have also substituted two double chicken breasts in place of the pork and it's wonderful, too!
You can make the sauce ahead of time and reheat it when you're ready to serve it.
You can also add the shredded pork to the sauce and heat it together, if you'd like.
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/