Hands down this the Best Sloppy Joe recipe (aka wimpies)! This is my grandma’s recipe and my family has been making it for years. It’s been a staple at every party and is always a hit.
Why These Healthy Sloppy Joes Works
Whether you know this iconic sloppy joe mix from your school days, (the Adam Sandler Lunch lady song keeps playing in my head) or it was a staple in your home growing up, my mom’s recipe was always the best sloppy joe! And it is the best comfort food.
For a dish that is this simple and easy to prepare, you need your flavors to be on point. Therefore, this sloppy joe casserole recipe has the best flavor and it is very quick to prepare on a busy weekday or great for parties and get-togethers because it can be made in large quantities to feed a crowd.
You can make sloppy joe mix ahead of time and freeze it for later. You can make them and keep them warm in slow cooker parties. And, you can even substitute ground turkey for the brown ground beef for a lighter version. This recipe is very flexible.
How to Make this Sloppy Joe Mix – Step by Step
For a fast meal that is nutritious and comes together quick, nothing is better than my Best Sloppy Joe recipe.
- Step One: First, in a large skillet or large pot, place your green bell pepper, red onion and brown beef.(Photo 1 below)
- Step Two: Next, prepare your seasonings celery seed, dry mustard, sugar, and then salt and pepper to taste (Photo 2 below)
- Step Three: Then cook together over medium heat, breaking up the beef as you go. I love my ground beef chopper for this task. (Photo 3 below)
- Step One: Then drain the fat from the skillet. Next, after the ground meat has browned and the vegetables are tender add the seasonings and cup ketchup to the skillet. (Photo 1 below)
- Step Two: Then add the vinegar to the skillet. (Photo 2 below)
- Step Three: Finally, simmer for 15 minutes and serve on your favorite roll or hamburger buns. (Photo 3 below)
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
This is also a great crockpot Sloppy Joe’s original recipe. Similarly, brown the beef, with the onions and peppers, and add it to your slow cooker with all of the other ingredients! Then set it and forget it. When dinner time rolls around, you’ll have delicious Crock Pot Sloppy Joes! Serve classic sandwiches or make an open face style sandwich. The crock pot sloppy joe is one of my family favorite easy meals.
Recommendations for What to Serve with Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
I usually serve my Philly cheesesteak sloppy joes with my homemade Bread and Butter Pickles. It’s just one of those classic combinations — like peanut butter and jelly. I can’t have one without the other. I regularly like to make my homemade Baked Sweet Fries alongside these instant pot sloppy joes.
Expert Tips for Making the Best Sloppy Joe Recipe
Versatility in my recipes is the key to keeping my family interested. So try these handy tips for making the healthy sloppy joes and the best wimpie recipe:
- Spice it up: Try putting a little hot sauce, chili powder and jalapeno pepper or green pepper into the simple for a spicy twist.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: This is a great recipe for a crowd. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and you can freeze half or serve to the team, church group, or family reunion. It is the best family food and an easy homemade sloppy joes recipe.
- Sneak in other Vegetables: If you have a hard time getting your kids to eat their veggies, try sneaking in some finely chopped vegetables to your sloppy joes. They will never know! It is recipe magic!
- Serve Over Rice: If you are gluten-free, serve over rice, rice cauliflower, or even mashed potatoes to make a hearty meal.
Shop This Recipe
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the Quick and Easy Meals on It Is a Keeper.
Recipes You May Have Missed
- Slow Cooker Chicken And Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- 2 Ingredient Berry Smoothie
- Honey Baked Ham
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
The Best Sloppy Joes Ever!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown beef with onions and peppers in a large skillet.
- Drain well and return to skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve on your favorite sandwich roll.
- Spice it up: Try putting a little hot sauce and some jalapeno peppers into the wimpie for a spicy twist.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: This is a great recipe for a crowd. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and you can freeze half or serve to the team, church group or family reunion.
- Sneak in other Vegetables: If you have a hard time getting your kids to eat their veggies, try sneaking in some finely chopped vegetables to your sloppy joes. They will never know!
- Serve Over Rice: If you are gluten free, serve over rice, rice cauliflower or even mashed potatoes to make a hearty meal.