A Pizza Burger is two of my favorite foods fused together to create one of the best things you can every eat. If you are a fan of pizza and a fantastic grilled burger than this is the the recipe for you.
The pizza burger takes the tangy goodness of pizza sauce, gooey cheese and a big fat juicy hamburger for the ultimate sandwich. Really using these ingredients you get a next level burger.
This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff. As always, all opinions are my own.
Want even more grill recipes, check out these grilling posts.
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”aLT6Ds1x” upload-date=”2020-10-09T10:56:17.000Z” name=”Pizza Burger Recipe” description=”This Pizza Burger recipe is a mash up of two classic recipes into one amazing bite. ” player-type=”collapse” override-embed=”false”]
MORE BURGER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
The Perfect Burger | Burger Seasoning Blend | Mexican Burger
What We Love About This Pizza Burger Recipe
The thing that sets this recipe apart is the use of the best ingredients. Fresh mozzarella, quality ground beef and amazing brioche rolls.
- 30 Minute Meal: Only a large skillet and a few ingredients and you have dinner.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry or fridge such as lean ground beef.
- Family Friendly: Combining a pizza and a burger is genius for any family.
- Adaptable: Can make it low-carb, keto, or dairy free, even use ground turkey etc.
- Makes Great Leftovers: So many things you can do like…
- Ground Beef: I use an 80/20 for this burger recipe.
- Garlic: Two cloves of minced garlic.
- Parsley: Fresh Parsley, minced.
- Italian Seasoning: One tablespoon, you can use the recipe or try a store bought.
- House Seasoning Blend: The perfect blend of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese: It gives that soft texture and amazing pull.
- Pepperoni: Enhances the spicy quality of the burger.
- Pizza Sauce: The link will take you to the It’s a Keeper Recipe or use your favorite tomato sauce.
- Brioche Rolls: They are perfect for these pizza cheeseburgers. Ciabatta rolls are great too.
- Melted Butter: Place on the top and bottom bun when toasting.
- Garlic Powder: Sprinkle on the roll to add great flavor.
- Fresh Garlic
Equipment Needed for the Best Burger
- Burger Press
- Needed Grill Tools
How to Make A Pizza Hamburgers
These are the basic steps for making pizza burgers. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions and nutrition information.
STEP 1: PREP
First, preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Then in a large bowl, combine ground beef, minced garlic, parsley, Italian Seasoning and House seasoning blend.Next, use your hands to mix beef mixture until fully combined.and then form beef mixture into 4 patties.
STEP 2: GRILL
Then grill patties for 3-5 minutes on each side or until burgers reach desired doneness and then place 4 slices of pepperoni and 1 slice of mozzarella cheese on each patty. Allow burgers to rest on top rack of grill or on a plate covered with foil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.
STEP 3: BUNS
Meanwhile, combine melted butter and garlic powder in a small bowl. Brush garlic butter mixture on the insides of the brioche buns.
STEP 4: TOAST
Place butter side up on a baking sheet and broil for 2 minutes or until buns are toasted a golden brown and then remove buns from the broiler and rub the toasted sides of the cut side of the garlic clove.
STEP 5: ASSEMBLE
Finally, assemble burgers and serve immediately.
Prep and Storage Tips for Pizza Burger Recipe
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
You can prepare your ground beef mixture ahead of time and then form your patties, keep in the fridge until ready to grill in an airtight container.
STORE THIS RECIPE
Store any leftovers by wrapping them well in plastic wrap, aluminum foil or an airtight container.
FREEZE THIS RECIPE
The beef can be frozen in patties until ready to use, thaw overnight in the fridge before using them.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can skip the bun or use a good quality keto option, there are several nice brands on the market.
There are several reasons for this, such as overcooking, however there are also some things you can do to keep your beef tender, for example:
* Treat the beef tenderly. Use a light hand.
* Handle the meat as little as possible so that it isn’t tough.
* Use thumb to indent the center of the hamburger so that it doesn’t puff up and cooks evenly.
* Only turn the burger once.
* And PLEASE don’t press the burger down hard with the spatula.
For this recipe, I like to use an 80/20 ground beef blend. This is a mixture of 80% lean beef mixed with 20% fat. Typically, this blend is made of ground chuck. The fat gives the burger its juiciness and adds flavor. Always remember, fat=flavor.
Truly the best way is to use a meat thermometer. Here is a guide to doneness: USDA Temperature Guidelines · Rare: 120 to 125 · Medium Rare: 130 to 135 · Medium Well: 150 to 155 · Well Done: 160 to 165. Find out more about food safety at the USDA.
Of course, use a grill skillet, over medium heat and toast the hamburger buns in the oven on a cookie sheet.
Expert Tips for Making This Pizza Cheeseburger Recipe
- Gluten Issues?: Really, these have come a long way for example, cauliflower roll or a gluten free option, they are great!
- Cheese it UP: Great cheeses help make a great burger that will enhance the flavor of your burger. Provolone, an Italian Blend or add a little Parmesan cheese in the burger patty itself.
- Spice it UP: Put a little heat in your pizza burger by adding some red pepper flake or top with a little Jalapeno Pepper.
- No Grill No Problem: Make these pizza burgers on the stove top and then finish under the broiler.
- Veggies: Tomato, spinach, mushrooms, onions or your favorite pizza toppings to the burgers.
What to Serve with Pizza Burgers
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
- 1 ⅓ pounds ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons House Seasoning Blend
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 16 slices pepperoni
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 4 brioche rolls
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced in half longways
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, minced garlic, parsley, Italian Seasoning and House seasoning blend.
- Use your hands to mix beef mixture until fully combined.
- Form beef mixture into 4 patties.
- Grill patties for 3-5 minutes on each side or until burgers reach desired doneness.
- Place 4 slices of pepperoni and 1 slice of mozzarella cheese on each patty.
- Allow burgers to rest on top rack of grill or on a plate covered with foil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, combine melted butter and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Brush garlic butter mixture on the insides of the brioche buns.
- Place butter side up on a baking sheet and broil for 2 minutes or until buns are toasted. Do not walk away from the broiler.
- Remove buns from the broiler and rub the toasted sides the cut side of the garlic clove.
- To assemble burgers, place 1 tablespoon of pizza sauce on the bottom burger bun.
- Top with the burger.
- Spoon another tablespoon of pizza sauce on the top bun and place on top of burger.
- Repeat for remaining burgers.
- Serve immediately.
- Gluten Issues?: Try a Cauliflower roll or a gluten free option, they are great!
- Cheese it UP: There are a lot of great cheeses that will enhance the flavor of your burger. Try a provolone, an Italian Blend or add a little Parmesan in the burger patty itself.
- Spice it UP: Try a little heat in your pizza burger by adding some red pepper flake or top with a little Jalapeno Pepper.
- No Grill No Problem: You can make these pizza burgers on the stove top and then finish under the broiler
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
Recipes You Might Have Missed
- Hummus Deviled Eggs
- Fluffy Chocolate Dip
- Link to most recent IAK round up
- 10 Summer Party Essentials
3 thoughts on “Pizza Burger”
My two favorite things… together!!
What a great recipe! My kids are already begging for more.
Just can’t wait to try this recipe, thank you for sharing!