Cheesecake Cookies are tender, light cookies that melt in your mouth. They have a light almond flavor and are truly an amazing cookie for any occasion.
Cheesecake Cookies are tender and creamy. Like a crispy cheese cake bite that will delight your senses. These Cream Cheese Cookies are one of everyones favorites during the holidays. A true crowd pleaser because it taste like a little decadent cheesecake bite. They truly differ from other hard cookies you may experience.
The holidays can be tough and so hectic, find tips, recipes, gift guides and more at It is a Keeper.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Cream Cheese Cookies Recipe
They are extremely versatile – you can add in any of your favorite mix-ins (chocolate chips, craisins, freeze dried strawberries, orange zest, etc) or decorate or shape them. Ever what cream cheese actually is? I did. You can learn about it here.
- Easy Ingredients: All staple ingredients found in pantry or fridge.
- Family Friendly: They are a true family favorite because they are a tender and chewy cookie.
- Adaptable: Can make these cream cheese cookies so many different ways.
- Makes Great Gifts: Cheese Cake Cookies are a perfect addition to any cookie tin or platter.
- Cream Cheese: Low fat, fat free or even Greek yogurt cream cheese can be great in this recipe.
- Butter: Use butter, not margarine. The higher fat content helps cookies maintain the proper texture and consistency.
- Almond Extract: You can use vanilla extract or even cream cheese extract. For even more flavor.
Variations and Substitutions
- Sugar Substitute – change the calories by working with a sugar free version of your favorite sweeteners. No liquid, make sure it is a one to one substitute.
- Cookie Pieces – Try adding your favorite cookie crumbled up to make Oreo cheesecake cookies.
How to Make Cheese Cake Cookies
These are the basic steps for making Cheesecake Cookies Recipe. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions and nutrition information.
STEP 1: PREP
First, preheat your oven and line your baking trays with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
STEP 2: CREAM
Then in a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer beat at medium speed the softened butter and cream cheese with granulated sugar. Add egg and almond extract. Combine until cream cheese mixture is fluffy and well mixed.
STEP 3: DRY INGREDIENTS
Next, in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to the cream cheese mixture until a cookie dough has formed.
STEP 4: Dough Balls
Roll the cookie dough into 1 ½ inch spheres. Place gently on a cookie sheet (you may have to bake it on 2 pans), leaving at least 1 ½ inches apart from each other.
STEP 5: BAKE
Lastly, bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Prep and Storage Tips for these Cheese Cake Cookies
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
This cookie dough can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for two to four days. Allowing the fats to cool before making makes a less crumbly cookie that holds it’s shape better.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store cookies in an airtight container with parchment between layers. They should be good at room temperature. However, will lose moisture over time.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Freeze cookies in a freezer bag or airtight container in a single layer with parchment in between. They will stay good for up to three months. You can also place your cookie dough balls in the freezer and cook them as you like. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Frequently Asked Questions
You have seen these cookies all over Instagram and Facebook, one of the secrets to having a high fluffy cookie is adding a little cornstarch like they do with their shortbread. For this recipe try a half tablespoon.
If you like a richer deeper flavor than you can replace half of the white sugar with brown sugar.
Of course, especially if you would like to do some of the variations that are mentioned for this Cheesecake Cookies recipe.
Temperature Check: Make sure that your ingredients are at room temperature. Especially the butter and eggs.
Baking: Do not over bake. These cookies should just be lightly brown.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- Chips: Incorporate White Chocolate Chips for cream cheese chocolate chip cookies.
- Nuts: Maybe add some chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Cookies: Try a dollop of strawberry or raspberry jam for strawberry cheesecake cookies or raspberry cheesecake cookies.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs: Make more like cheesecake with a crust by making a graham cracker cookie.
- Frost: Cream Cheese Frosting adds even more creamy goodness to the cookies. Finish with festive sprinkles.
What to Serve with Cheesecake Cookies
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
- 8 tablespoons stick butter, softened (about ½ cup)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, whisked at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together softened butter and cream cheese with granulated sugar.
- Add egg and almond extract. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Next, add the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until a cookie dough forms.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 ½ inch spheres. Place gently on a cookie sheet (you may have to bake it on 2 pans), leaving at least 1 ½ inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Allow to cool then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Chips: Use white chocolate chips for cream cheese chocolate chip cookies.
- Nuts: Maybe add some chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies: Try a dollop of strawberry jam, or raspberry jam, for strawberry flavor cheesecake cookies.
- Drizzle: Melt some chocolate and drizzle on top of the cookies.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs: Make these cookies more like cheesecake by rolling them in a graham cracker crust.
- Frosting: Cream cheese frosting adds even more creamy goodness to the cookies. Top with some festive sprinkles or sanding sugar.
- Extract: You can use vanilla extract or even cream cheese extract for even more flavor.
- Zest: Use orange or lemon zest to add a nice citrusy flavor to these cookies.