This is the PERFECT blueberry pie recipe! But how do you know when you’ve made a great blueberry pie? When you take the first slice of pie of the pan, and the juice from the pies doesn’t run into the empty space. Or, when you put a slice of pie on your plate and it holds its shape – that’s when you know you did it right. Keep on reading to learn the secret world of fresh perfect and flavorful blueberry pie!
This easy blueberry pie recipe does the trick every single time! The berries are sweet and the crust is so flaky and tender. It’s the quintessential summer dessert. Everyone will be begging for this blueberry pie! I love making these pies (and my husband loves eating them!).
How to Make Blueberry Pie
First things first, when it comes to making this blueberry pie, a lattice top crust is the way to go. This will leave you with some extra pastry. Rather than throw it away, use it to make this little individual blueberry pies in ramekins. This will work perfect for girls nights as a little treat ! have to admit I was surprised at how good they came out. This is a very cute twist on a traditional blueberry pie.
Steps for Making a Great Blueberry Pie
Step one: Grab some flour and butter and put them in the freezer. This will make for the best blueberry pie! The colder the better.
Step Two: Preheat oven to 350°. grab blueberries and lemon juice.
Step Three : Grab another bowl. Take sugar cornstarch and cinnamon. Grab the berries and begin to combine .
Step four: when done transfer into crust and refrigerate while you start on the lattice crust.
MAKE SURE YOU CHECK OUT THESE GREAT BLUEBERRY RECIPES
- Old Fashioned Blueberry Cake
- Blueberry Lemon Bread
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
- Blueberry Cobbler
- Looking for more? Check out all of the easy dessert recipes on It Is a Keeper.
The best blueberry pie recipe continued
step five: take the rest of the dough and roll it out to a size similar to the other.
step six: cut the blueberry pie dough into 3/4 strips.
step seven: lay strips over pie and equally space them throughout.
Blueberry Pie Making Tips
Here are few tips that I’ve learned (most of them I’ve learned the hard way!) along the way:
- It is 100 times fast to make pie crust in a food processor. The dough is ready in under 30 seconds.
- Make sure all of your pastry ingredients are ICE COLD. You don’t want to use room temperature anything. This will make a flaky crust.
- If you’re using frozen blueberries, do not thaw them. Use them frozen.
- If your crust starts browning too fast in the oven, cover the edges with a pie crust shied or a piece of aluminum foil.
- Bake your pie on the middle rack of your oven.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and put the foil lined sheet on the rack directly under the pie in the oven. This will catch any bubble over spills and make a clean up easy.
Shop This Recipe
The Perfect Blueberry Pie
- 12 tablespoons ice-cold butter cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup ice water
- Add the flour, salt and sugar to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
- Pulse 2-3 times to mix. A
- dd the butter and shortening.
- Pulse 8-10 times or until the butter is the size of peas.
- With the processor running, add the water slowly until the dough begins to form a ball.
- Dump dough out onto a floured surface and roll into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half.
- On a floured surface, roll each half into a circle.
- Roll from the center to the edge, turning regularly to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Roll the dough circle around rolling pin and transfer to a pie plate.
- Unroll the dough to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.
Blueberry Pie Filling
- In a large bowl combine berries, tapioca, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Mix well.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Pour berry mixture into prepared pie crust.
- Dot butter on top of berries.
- Place second pie crust on top of berries.
- Crimp edges.
- Make an egg wash by whisking 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of milk or cream.
- Brush the egg wash over the top and sides of the crust.
- This will make a nice brown, shiny crust.
- You can also sprinkle sanding sugar crystals on top of the egg wash.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/