Chicken Cobbler Casserole

This post may contain affiliate links.  For more information, read my disclosure policy here

The other day, I was looking through “the pile” for casserole recipes and I came across this little gem!  I think it originally came a Southern Living magazine.

You know, I was born and raised in northeastern Pennsylvania, but I’ve always thought that (deep down) that I was born on the wrong side of the Mason Dixon Line!  I love all things southern — the food, the hospitality.  I love it all.  And, I live vicariously through my Southern Living magazines!

OK, back the casserole…I pulled this recipe out with a few others (like Chicken Cannelloni with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce — which, if you haven’t already tried it, you MUST!) to try on a brisk fall day.

The Recipe

6 Tbsp melted butter, divided
4 cups sourdough rolls, cubed
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 medium sweet onions, sliced
1 (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms
1 cup white wine
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
2 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded

Toss 4 Tbs melted butter with the bread, parmesan cheese and parsley; set aside.

Saute onions in remaining butter in a large skilled over medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.

Stir in wine, soup, roasted red peppers and chicken.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 9×9 baking dish; top evenly with bread mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Is it a Keeper?

This casserole was soooo good!  I loved how all of the flavors worked so well together — the roasted red peppers, the wine, the mushrooms.  And the bread was a nice, crispy, golden brown.  So buttery and good!

It made a wonderful sauce that’s a shame to waste so I would  serve it over egg noodles or with roasted potatoes.   Or something else?  What do you think?

Never miss a single recipe! Have them delivered right to your inbox. Sign up for FREE email updates.

46 thoughts on “Chicken Cobbler Casserole”

1. this look so good!Maybe some of your commenters and come visit me! haha. I would love to try this! Thanks for sharing

2. This is my first visit in your blog and may i say you have a beautiful space. This recipe sounds fantastic to me. I am thinking I will make individuals in ramekin with some salad for side 🙂 what say ! Thanks for sharing it with Hearth and Soul Hop

3. “The pile” … lol! Do you know how many piles I have lying around my house. I seem to be getting further and further behind since the pre-term labor challenges (ended up making it to 38 weeks) and birth of my daughter! Anyway… this sounds really good, truly a gem. And I am all about southern food myself. Thanks for linking this at
    Make a Food-“e”-Friend Monday.

4. This does sound yummy and looks it too! I am allergic to mushrooms so will have to leave ’em out and use cream of chicken soup instead. I’ll probably substitute white grape juice, chxn broth or water for the wine since I never have any on hand. But this is definitely a keeper, I think! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

5. This sounds scrumptious…I don’t like mushrooms so I’d exchange them for celery and either a cream of celery soup or cream of chicken…yummers…thanx for the recipe…I think my family will LOVE this~!!

6. Looking forward to trying this tonight! I subbed chicken broth for the wine and froze it, so I hope it’s still nice and creamy. 🙂

7. Christina – I got this recipe from OAMM. On Sunday I followed the directions for everything up until you put the cubed bread on top. I put the chicken mixture into an 8×8, covered and stored in fridge (and bread mixture stored separate in fridge) and then last night I put it together and baked it. The wine taste was totally overpowering to the point that hubby complained (he’ll eat anything and never complains). Do you think that happened because I let it sit overnight in the fridge? I think this should be an awesome dish but somehow I made it taste terrible….what do you think I did wrong?

• Shannon — My first thought is, if you decide to try this again, add the wine to the pan before the soup and let it reduce down a bit. That should cook off any of the alcohol flavor. I’m not sure what kind of wine you used — I usually use something that I would drink (not the cooking wines you buy in the grocery store), they tend to have better flavor. You can also leave the wine out all together. Just replace it with chicken broth or water.

I hope this helps. I’m sorry you were disappointed in the recipe. I know what it’s like to get all excited about a new recipe and it not meet your expectations.

Thanks for your question!

8. Hi- this sounds yummy but I don’t see where the cooked chicken comes in? Do you layer it or mix it with the ingredients and then top with bread?

• Hi Sandi — Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to include “add the chicken” to the last step! This is what happens when you try to write blog posts at 11 pm after working a full day! 🙂 I updated the recipe on the post — just add the cooked check when you add the roasted red peppers and stir to combine.

Thanks for reading!
      Christina

9. Boy does this sound good. And another great way to use up some bread, especially if homemade! Instead of bookmarking this recipe, I have clicked on a feed. Thanks.

• Thanks, Melynda! I hope you like it! Please let me know how you make out if you decide to try the recipe!

Thanks for reading!
      Christina

• Thanks, Alicia! The topping is not as soft as stuffing. The outsides of the bread cube get crispy while the insides stay nice and soft (depending on the freshness of the bread you use) and the bottoms of the bread cubes soak up all of the yummy sauce.

The sauce is the best part! I would definitely serve it with noodles or rice — something that will soak it up!

Enjoy and please let me know how you make out if you make it!

Thanks for reading!

• You’re very welcome, Debbi Does Dinner Healthy! This was a great meal and the leftovers were pretty good too!

Thanks for reading!

10. it is so gorgeous, i can’t believe how easy it looks! as soon as the weather turns a bit, i am going to make this. YUM! thank you for linking up to tuesday night supper club…i am so glad to have you

11. Thanks for the compliments, Christy! I love your blog! Lots of great ideas! I see that my pile of recipes will be growing! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Thanks for reading!