These Grilled Sticky Chicken Skewers are easy to make and bursting with flavor. They are the perfect summer-time food!
I love to grill. There is just something about the flavor of grilled food that you can’t get from a stove top or oven.
This Grilled Sticky Chicken Skewers are a family favorite. I’m always asked to make them for family cookouts and other get-togethers. I make these every year when we go on our beach vacation.
The smell of them cooking on the grill brings out all of the neighbors and I end up sharing the recipe.
These skewers are bursting with flavor. You really can’t go wrong with onion, garlic and fresh ginger. And, adding the pepper flakes gives a little hint of heat that adds depth to the marinade.
This recipe is fairly easy to make, but you do have to cook the marinade and let it cool before you use it. Make sure you allow time for this step.
I make a double batch of the sauce and kept half in the fridge for the following week. It would also make a great dipping sauce!
I think the best part about this recipe is that you serve the chicken on the skewers. Just for fun, I like to make our entire dinner on a stick — caprese salad skewers, grilled veggie skewers and strawberry shortcake skewers. I have come to realize that my son will eat anything that is on a stick!
These are the tools I used to make this recipe:
(Disclaimer: these are affiliate links)
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
Here are some other recipes you may also like:
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Grilled Sticky Chicken Skewers
- 1-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 8 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ to 1 tsp red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Bamboo or metal skewers (soak bamboo skewers in water)
- If using bamboo skewers, soak skewers in water for at least 20 minutes. This will prevent the skewers from burning on the grill.
- Heat vegetable oil in medium saucepan. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 Minutes. Cool sauce completely.
- Reserve half of the sauce for basting.
- Place chicken in a resealable bag and pour remaining sauce over chicken.
- Close bag and knead to ensure all chicken is coated in sauce. Refrigerate for 6 hours to overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and throw marinade away.
- Thread chicken onto the skewers.
- Spray grill lightly with cooking spray and preheat grill on medium high.
- Place chicken on grill and grill until well browned on one side, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Turn chicken and baste with sauce.Grill another 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and baste again.
- Continue grilling until well caramelized and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove chicken and serve with reserved sauce.
FREE 10 Must Have Easy Recipes eBook!
Thank you so much for visiting It Is a Keeper! Make sure you grab your FREE eCookbook
10 Must Have Easy Recipes for Busy Cooks