Sweet Chili Appetizer Meatballs are the perfect balance of sweet, savory, and spicy. These will be a hit at any party or gathering.
These Sweet Chili Appetizer Meatballs are perfect If you love meatballs and you like asian flavors. Such a delicious party appetizer or game day food. These easy cocktail meatballs will seriously be the first to go at your next party.
For more tasty party and game day foods just our this Football food collection.
MORE MEATBALLS RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Firecracker Sauce Recipe
Where does this sweet and hot sauce come from? Find out the history of chili sauce.
- Easy Prep: The prep of these sweet chili meatballs couldn’t be easier as all you need to do is put everything in the crock pot.
- Party Friendly: Chili sauce meatballs make for the perfect party appetizer.
- One Dish: This recipe makes for an easy clean up as you bake in the slow cooker dish.
- Low-Carb: Make these low-carb sweet chili meatballs as an appetizer or meal.
- Meatballs: Frozen meatballs but you could also use homemade meatballs.
- Chili Sauce: You will want to use a garlic chili sauce which you can easily find in the hot sauce or asian section of your grocery store. You can also use sriracha sauce.
Variations and Substitutions
- Turkey Meatballs – You can also make this recipe using turkey or firecracker chicken meatballs.
- Homemade Meatballs – If you would like you can also make this recipe with your own homemade recipe with ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey, or ground chicken or use this recipe for oven baked meatballs. These easy homemade meatballs are made with beef, veal, pork, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and baked in the oven on a baking sheet.
- Sear Meatballs Before Hand – If you would like you can start by browning your meatballs on all sides in a large skillet over medium high heat along with some olive oil. You can also use the air fryer for this fresh recipe.
- Cranberry Meatball Recipes – Use fresh cranberry sauce in place of grape jelly this make this sweet chili meatballs have a seasonal spin, perfect for Christmas and winter time. Or you can sub the Sweet Chili Sauce for BBQ sauce.
How to Make Sweet Chili Meatballs
These are the basic steps for making Sweet Chili Appetizer Meatballs. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions and nutrition information.
STEP 1: ADD MEATBALLS
Start by adding the frozen meatballs into the crock pot.
STEP 2: MAKE SWEET CHILI SAUCE
For the sweet chili sauce you will first add the chili sauce along with grape jelly. Next add brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and orange juice. Stir together until evenly combined and make sure that all the meatballs are completely covered.
STEP 3: COOK SWEET CHILI MEATBALLS
Put the lid on the slow cooker, If you are cooking on HIGH, they will be ready in 2 to 3 hours. If you are cooking on LOW, they will be ready in 4 to 6 hours. You can keep them warm to setting the slow cooker to medium-low heat.
STEP 4: SERVING
Serve sweet chili crockpot meatballs in small ramekins, bowls, or on a large plate or serving platter. Garnish with sliced green onions, red pepper flakes, or sesame seeds. You can also serve with sour cream or spicy mayo. Provide toothpicks or small appetizer forks so your guests can pick them up to snack on.
Prep and Storage Tips
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
To make these party firecracker meatballs ahead of time, follow the instructions per usual and store in an airtight container in the fridge, I recommend making this recipe 1-2 days of time. Reheat in a crockpot or slow cooker.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store leftovers in airtight container or a large bowl covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Freeze sweet chili meatballs in a freezer safe bag for up to 2 months.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS RECIPE
Reheat meatballs in slow cooker for 1-2 hours until heated through or microwave for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can also use strawberry or raspberry jelly/jam/preserves instead of grape jelly to cover the meat mixture. Please not that the flavor will vary if using another type of jam.
If you cannot find chili cause or only have sriracha sauce on hand, it will work as well in this recipe.
This recipe can easily be doubled or halved, just increase or decrease the ingredients proptionally.
Sweet chili sauce tends to be a more mild hot, similar spice level to sriracha sauce. To make this recipe a bit spicer you can add cayenne pepper powder.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: This is a great recipe for a crowd. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and cook for additional 1 hour.
- Main Dish: Make this a complete and balance meal, serve with white rice and your favorite veggies, such as broccoli or green beans.
- Meatball Subs: Serve sweet chili meatballs on fresh subs rolls or french bread along with spicy mayo and Japanese Coleslaw. They’re perfect for meatball sliders.
What to Serve with Sweet Chili Appetizer Meatballs
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Cranberry Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
- 22 oz Frozen Homestyle meatballs
- 12 oz chili sauce – any brand
- 1 cup grape jelly
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Green onions – garnish, optional
- Optional Step: If you would like you can start by browning your meatballs on all sides in a skillet over medium high heat along with some olive oil.
- Start by adding the frozen meatballs into the crock pot.
- For the sweet chili sauce you will first add the chili sauce along with grape jelly.
- Next add brown sugar, garlic powder, and orange juice. Stir together until evenly combined and make sure that all the meatballs are completely covered.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker, If you are cooking on HIGH, they will be ready in 2 to 3 hours.
- If you are cooking on LOW, they will be ready in 4 to 6 hours.
- Cornstarch: Add a cornstarch slurry if your sauce is too thin.
- Double This Recipe: Meatballs are the best for your next party. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and cook for an additional 1 hour.
- Main Dish: To make this a complete and balance meal, serve with white or brown rice and your favorite veggies, such as broccoli or green beans.
- Meatball Subs: Serve slow cooker sweet chili meatballs on fresh subs rolls or French bread along with spicy mayo and Japanese Coleslaw.
- Storage: Store this easy recipe in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat meatballs in crock pot for 1-2 hours or microwave for 2-3 minutes until hot.