This is one of the BEST homemade Cranberry Sauce recipes I have ever tried! It’s easy to make and tastes so much better than the canned variety.
How to Make the Best Homemade Cranberry Sauce
This truly is one of the easiest and BEST homemade cranberry sauce recipes. It’s super easy to make – it takes less than 30 minutes to make and there are only a handful of simple ingredients. Plus, it tastes so much better than the stuff you buy in the store.
The recipe starts with whole fresh cranberries. To that you add orange, sugar and water. That’s is. Super simple.
Is it Cranberry Sauce or Cranberry Relish?
Most of the time you hear it called cranberry sauce, but sometimes, you may hear the term cranberry relish. Many people use the term synonymously, but these terms have very different meanings.
Cranberry sauce recipes tend to be cooked and then cooled and served cold. Cooking the berries causes them to burst and release their natural juices.
Cranberry relish recipes are usually prepared raw. Many use a combination of fruits such as apples, oranges and other fruits to give the mixture its sweetness. My mother in law has one of my favorite cranberry relish orange, apple and pineapple. I just love the different textures and the sweet-tartness.
Can you make homemade cranberry sauce recipes ahead of time?
Absolutely! In fact, I prefer to make my cranberry sauce recipes Thanksgiving ahead of time. It’s one less thing I need to worry about on the big day. I usually make mine the day before so it has plenty of time to chill and come together.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Sauce Pan: This is my favorite sauce pan. I’ve used it for years!
Measuring Cups: This is a classic. The measurements are perfect every time.
Silicone Spoon: I love using this spoon because nothing sticks to it and it doesn’t get stained by food.
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the best Thanksgiving recipes on It Is a Keeper.
⭐⭐⭐ RATE THIS RECIPE ⭐⭐⭐
If you’ve tried this recipe, please rate it in the comment section below.
Best Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries - divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 strip orange zest
- 2 tablespoons water
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cranberries and set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to a sauce pan.
- Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium and cook for 12 minutes longer, or until the berries start to burst.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in remaining berries.
- Taste and add more sugar if needed.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.