This Cinnamon Streusel French Toast Casserole is an easy make-ahead breakfast recipe that is sure to please your family.
When it comes to making breakfast I prefer easy recipes that don’t require much fuss. And, a recipe gets extra points in my book if it can be made the night before.
This Cinnamon Streusel French Toast Casserole is the perfect combination of easy and make ahead. It’s perfect for lazy weekend mornings or a family brunch.
This recipe actually works best when you make it the night before you plan to serve it. I assemble the french toast casserole in the baking dish and I prepare the cinnamon streusel topping in a separate bowl and stash both containers in the fridge until I’m ready to bake it.
Then all you have to do in the morning is spread the streusel topping evenly over the french toast and pop the whole thing in the oven. The french toast is soft and tender and the streusel topping is crunchy and sweet — bliss!
It really is the perfect balance of flavor and texture. And, my family cannot get enough of this recipe!
And, if you have any leftovers, they are fantastic the next day. Just place an individual portion on a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until heated through.
Also try my Red Velvet Pancakes recipe.
Here are some of the tools I used to make this recipe:
Cinnamon Streusel French Toast Casserole
Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake with Streusel Topping
French Toast Casserole
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes in baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Pour mixture over top of the bread cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate over night.
- In a food processor, add the brown sugar, butter, flour, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pulse until mixture becomes pea sized.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour topping over casserole.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until casserole reaches desired doneness.
- Serve warm.
- Add Fruit: Raisins or dried cranberries to add flavor to taste.
- Frosting: Drizzle frosting, melted butter or glaze on top of the cinnamon roll french toast casserole. A cream Cheese version is wonderful.
- Syrup: Serve with maple syrup or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Alternate ingredient: Top with festive sprinkles for Christmas morning.