Best Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfection. Wonderful for cold weather days. It was extremely hearty and filling and chocked full of lots of broccoli. Serve it with some crusty bread or in a bread bowl and you have a perfect meal.
This Best Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfect for when it’s cold and blustery outside there is nothing like a big bowl of soup to warm your soul. This low carb Broccoli Cheddar Soup is one of my favorite recipes during the colder months. It reminds me of the Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe with it’s rich flavor and it’s loaded with good-for-you broccoli.
Want more warm weather soups and stews, check these wonderful recipes. Including my very popular Broccoli Cheese Casserole. This broccoli casserole is an easy side dish with cooked broccoli, a Velveeta cheese sauce and topped with crispy crackers.
MORE SOUP RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Broccoli with Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
This recipe is low carb and wonderful for a cold winter day. It is hearty and full of creamy, cheesy goodness. Broccoli is full of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and potassium. Want more information on broccoli, find them here.
- 30 Minute Meal: Quick and easy meal in only thirty minutes.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry or the refrigerator.
- Family Friendly: Kids love the soup and will beg for seconds.
- Adaptable: Can make it low fat or great in a bread bowl.
Ingredient Notes for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Onion: One whole onion, diced.
- Carrots: Peeled and diced carrots or cheat and use baby carrots.
- Butter: Salted butter or unsalted butter.
- Flour: All Purpose flour.
- Milk: Whole milk or you can use a low fat milk.
- Half and Half: This is a thick creamy addition to the soup.
- Fresh Broccoli: Cut into broccoli florets.
- Nutmeg: It adds a little something to the broccoli soup.
- Cheddar Cheese: Freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese is best.
- All Purpose Seasoning: The perfect blend of garlic and other seasonings.
Equipment Needed for Cheddar and Broccoli Soup
How to Make Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
These are the basic steps for making cheddar broccoli soup recipe. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions and nutrition information.
STEP 1: VEGETABLES
Begin by chopping all your vegetables. Make sure that they are all in uniform pieces and shred your cheese.
STEP 2: SAUTE
First, melt butter in heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Then add the onions and carrots and cook until soft, about six minutes. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for one minute. This is the start of the cheese sauce.
STEP 3: ADD
Next, pour in milk and half and half; Add nutmeg, broccoli, salt and black pepper and then reduce heat to low, whisk together, cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
STEP 4: BLEND
Finally, use an immersion blender or standard blender to puree the soup to your liking. Stir in cheese, allowing cheese to melt.
Prep and Storage Tips
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
The cheddar broccoli soup recipe can be made up to three days in advance.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
It is best not to freeze the cream soup. It can be done, however, it will change the consistency of the soup.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS RECIPE
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup may curdle if heated too quickly. To prevent curdling, don’t reheat in the microwave. Reheat the Broccoli soup on the stovetop over low heat and stir often.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Broccoli Cheddar Soup
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup can be made healthier by using fat free cream, milk and cheese. You can also try using dairy alternatives to make this soup vegan.
Of course, to make this soup more like a meal, try using cubed ham, bacon or even try using turkey or chicken.
Indeed this recipe can be cut in half or double for a crowd.
Try adding a little vegetable broth or stock to this recipe to thin out the consistency and make it perfect for you.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- Add Toppers: Garnish with bacon bits, fresh parsley, croutons or even more shredded cheese like parmesan cheese.
- Veggies: Replace some of the broccoli with cauliflower to make a mixed vegetable soup dish.
- Variation tip: Try using some more vegetables such as sauteed mushrooms or other delicious vegetables or even add some pasta or rice.
- Pull: Feel free to pull out some pieces of the broccoli before you blend so that you can have some bigger pieces in the finished soup.
- Alternate cooking method tip: Make this soup in the instant pot. It is really a quick way to make this soup. Sauté the vegetables then cook the broccoli in vegetable stock for four minutes, do a quick release then add the milk and cream.
What to Serve with Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Best Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning Blend
- 1 1/2 cups cooked ham, diced (optional)
- Vegetable broth, (optional)
- Melt butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot (such as a dutch oven) over medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots and cook for 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Sprinkle flour over top and cook for one minute.
- Pour in milk and half and half; Add nutmeg, broccoli, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Use an immersion blender or standard blender to puree the soup to your liking.
- Stir in ham and cheese, allowing cheese to melt.
- If soup is too thick, add chicken broth to thin it to your liking.
- Add Toppers: Top with bacon bits, croutons or even more shredded cheese.
- Veggies: Replace some of the broccoli with cauliflower to make a mixed vegetable soup.
- Variation tip: Try using some more vegetables such as sauteed mushrooms or other delicious vegetables.
- Pull: Feel free to pull out some pieces of the broccoli before you blend so that you can have some bigger pieces nn the finished soup.
- Alternate cooking method tip: Make this soup in the instant pot. It is really a quick way to make this soup. Saute the vegetables then cook the broccoli in vegetable stock for four minutes, do a quick release then add the milk and cream.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
Recipes You Might Have Missed