If you love easy gnocchi recipes, this 30 minute, one pot recipe is a favorite!
Why This Recipe for 30 Minute Gnocchi and Peas Works
My son loves gnocchi. It’s probably in his genetics from my Italian grandmother. He loves this Creamy Parmesan Gnocchi and Broccoli recipe so I thought I would try changing it up a little.
This recipe is the perfect 30 minute recipe because you make the entire recipe in one single skillet. There’s no extra pots, pans or a sink full of dishes. Just a fast, filling meal that the whole family will love.
Gnocchi is like pure comfort food for me. They’re light and pillowy and are perfect with just about any type of sauce you can think of. We like them with marinara or butter and garlic. They’re even the secret ingredient in my Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumpling soup!
What are Gnocchi?
Gnocchi are soft dough dumplings that are traditionally made from potatoes, flour and egg. Or, they can also be made with ricotta cheese. They originated in Italy as an alternative to traditional pasta.
There are many variations of homemade gnocchi recipes depending on where in Italy the recipe comes from. You can even incorporate roasted vegetables into the dough, such as these Sweet Potato Gnocchi.
How to Make Gnocchi with Peas
This recipe is really quite simple but has a great depth of flavor. The gnocchi are toasted in butter and then simmered in a sauce made of garlic, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper. This gnocchi recipe is finished off with peas, lemon and parmesan.
The entire recipe only takes 30 minutes and only uses one skillet. You toast the gnocchi in the same pan you make the sauce in. It really doesn’t get much easier than that.
Expert Tips for Making This Easy Gnocchi Recipes
Here are a few expert tips for making this easy 30 minute recipe:
- Use pre-packaged gnocchi. While there is nothing like homemade gnocchi, you can easily cheat and use store-bought in this recipe. I prefer the ones in the pasta aisle.
- Use frozen peas. There’s no need to shell fresh peas for this recipe (unless you really want to). The frozen variety work perfectly and you don’t even need to thaw them.
- Use good quality fresh parmesan cheese. This makes all the difference in the flavor. Grate your own cheese for this recipe.
What to Serve with Skillet Gnocchi and Peas
I usually serve this recipe as the main dish but you can easily use it as a side dish too. Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with this gnocchi recipe:
Tools Use to Make This Easy Gnocchi Recipe
My favorite skillet: This is my go-to skillet. I’ve had it for years and love it!
Parmesan Cheese Grater: The easiest way to grate fresh parmesan cheese.
Garlic Press: No more garlicky fingers. This tool makes it so easy.
More 30 Minute Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the quick easy recipes for dinner on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
30 Minute Gnocchi and Peas
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 16 oz potato gnocchi fresh (not frozen)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon House Seasoning Blend
- 10 oz frozen sweet peas
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add gnocchi and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and thyme, and cook, for about 1 minute.
- Add broth and House Seasoning blend and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the gnocchi for 3 minutes; add peas and continue to simmer for 2 more minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter; stir until butter melts.
- Remove from heat and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/