What do you get when you mix nearly 2 pounds of chocolate with some eggs, butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and vanilla? One batch of sinfully outrageous homemade brownies! And, yes, you read it right…TWO POUNDS OF CHOCOLATE!
These brownies are by no means, healthy, low-fat, non-fat, carb free or gluten-free.
But how can something that starts with almost 2 pounds of chocolate be that bad?!? Don’t answer that.
These homemade brownies are full-blown, fat laden, sugar loaded, chocolate overloaded, uber rich and sinfully delicious squares of pure chocolate joy.
They will curl your toes and make you swoon. And, you will dream about them.
If you think about it, though, these brownies are probably not as bad for you as you might first think. You are, after all, making a very large batch. And, they are so incredibly rich, that it is physically impossible to eat these brownies in large quantities. Believe me. I’ve tried.
I’ll admit, the recipe has several steps. And, you may be shocked by the ingredients. And, it does involve a double boiler (trust me, though, it’s not hard). But, this is not your average brownie-from-a-box recipe.
This is something that you will be remembered by. A recipe that your family and friends will ask you to make again and again. It’s definitely a keeper and worth the time (and calories!) to make. You won’t be sorry you did!
I can honestly say (from personal experience) that if you are having a stressful day, these brownies WILL make you feel better.
So, again, I ask, how can that be bad for you?!?
Stress = Bad.
Sinfully Outrageous Homemade Brownies = Good.
Sinfully Outrageous Homemade Brownies
Compliments of It’s a Keeper
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 2 (12 oz) bags semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1 cup
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet and put a dusting of cocoa powder (or flour) on it.
- Melt the butter, 1 bag plus one cup of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Toss 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then fold them into the chocolate mixture. Pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake for about 15 minutes longer or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Be careful not to over-bake these brownies. Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting into squares.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It’s a Keeper:
- Brownie Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Easy Appetizer Recipes
- Easy Crock Pot Recipes
- 70+ Quick Dinner Ideas
4 thoughts on “Sinfully Outrageous Homemade Brownies”
This is Ina Garten’s (Barefoot Contessa) recipe for her outrageous brownies, and yes- they are delicious
You are correct! It’s one of my favorite BC recipes!
They truly sound outrageous – will definitely be giving them a try!
they look delicious!