Welcome to my Slow Cookin’ Summer series where I’ll be sharing 12 weeks of easy recipes for a slow cooker! There have been some amazing recipes shared by some of my favorite bloggers! Make sure you pop over to the main page and check them out (just click on the image in the sidebar).
Also, you should subscribe to It’s a Keeper so you don’t miss a single one! Just click here and I will email you as soon as a new recipe is posted.
Let’s keep the Slow Cookin’ Summer Series going with this recipe from Jennifer from Harmonic Mama. Here’s her recipe:
Slow cookers are a life saver! At least once a week, if not more I make a slow cooker meal and it makes my evenings far less hectic and far more laid back, especially at the end of a busy day.
This chili is a mix of beef and beans, it’s not too spicy either. The full recipe is below.
I sautéed two medium onions in a little bit of olive oil with about a half tsp of cayenne pepper and a Tablespoon of chili powder. While that was going I chopped a large green pepper into chunks and tossed that in.
I allowed the peppers an onions to soften and added them to the slow cooker. In the same pan I browned one pound of grass-fed ground beef, just until it started to brown, you don’t want the ground beef cooked through or it could get tough. To that I added drained and added one drained (15.5 oz) can each of black beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans to the slow cooker along with one 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes (undrained),3 tbs. of tomato paste, 5 cloves of garlic and 1 tsp of salt.
Lastly I added the browned ground beef (you can drain the fat if you want but for extra flavor you can leave it in.), mix it all well and set the slow cooker on low for 4 to 6 hours.
When the chili is done serve with some sour cream, cheese and a side of corn bread and you have yourself a great meal with less than 15 minutes worth of effort.
Hearty 3 Bean and Beef Chili
Part of It’s a Keeper’s Slow Cookin’ Summer Series
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Onions Chopped
- 1 Large Green Pepper Chopped
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 15.5 oz can of Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans) drained
- 1 15.5 oz can of Kidney Beans drained
- 1 15.5 oz can of Black Beans drained
- 1 28 oz can of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 6 oz can of Tomato Paste (about 3 Tbs.)
- 5 whole cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Prep time 15 minutes.
- Sautée the onions with the cayenne pepper and chili powder over medium heat until slightly softened.
- Next, add the chopped green peppers and cook for another 3 minutes until the peppers start to soften.
- Remove the onions and peppers from the heat and place it into the slow cooker.
- Using the same pan brown the ground beef over medium heat until it’s par cooked.
- While the beef is browning, add to the slow cooker the 3 cans of beans, can of chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic and salt.
- When the beef is browned add it to the mixture in the slow cooker and stir.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 5 to 6 hours.