Enfrijoladas are a classic Mexican dish that are a cinch to make at home. Filled with chicken these Chicken Enfrijoladas are hearty dinner fare!
There is this fantastic little Mexican restaurant near where we live. I’ve been trying to branch out on what I choose and instead of choosing my favorite mole enchiladas, I decided to try something new. I chose Chicken Enfrijoladas and I was so glad that I did. It was fantastic! And it seemed so simple so I figured I would try making it at home.
I believe that traditionally these are made just dipped in the sauce with cheese sprinkled on top which would be good but for dinner, I wanted something a little more hardy. Shredded chicken is something I generally have on hand so it got rolled in the tortillas. Perfect!
What is something new you have tried recently and loved?
Easy Chicken Enfrijoladas Recipe
Chicken EnfrijoladasPrint Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe
- 2 cans low sodium black beans, with juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 2 lbs shredded chicken
- corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- queso fresco, crumbled
- cilantro, optional for topping
- tomatoes, optional for topping
- avocado, optional for topping
- sour cream, optional for topping
- Saute garlic and spices and salt in olive oil over medium heat until fragant. Add beans and juices to pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into a blender. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water to achieve a medium thickness sauce. it should stick to a spoon but also be able to drizzle off some. Pour mixture into a wide bowl.
- Prepare a 9×13 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Dip tortillas in the black bean sauce, fill with chicken and roll like an enchilada. Place into the prepared pan. Repeat until pan is full. Pour a little more of the black bean sauce over the stuffed tortillas. Sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes until warmed through and cheese has melted. Top with additional cheese, avocados, cilantro, sour cream, or fresh tomatoes.