This easy homemade barbecue dry rub recipe is a blend of spices that adds so much flavor to ribs, pork, chicken and more!
What is BBQ Spice Rub?
This Barbecue Dry Rub recipe is homemade spice blend that gives your food the great flavor you find at BBQ joints. This easy to make BBQ spice rub recipe is made with everyday spices you might already have in your pantry.
It’s a blend of seasonings, various types of pepper and a little sugar for sweetness and to help caramelize your food as it cooks.
What to Use Barbecue Dry Rub Recipe On
One of the best things about BBQ rub recipes is you can use them on so many things. It’s perfect for pork, beef, chicken, even seafood. I’ve even used it to flavor veggies that I’m grilling. You can use it anything you want to give a smoky, sweet and slightly spicy flavor to.
Some of my favorite recipes to use this BBQ rub recipe on are:
Why Barbecue Rub Recipes Work
BBQ rub recipes work best when they have time to sit on the meat and absorb into the meat fibers. I like to add the barbecue dry rub recipe at least and hour (but up to 24 hours) before I cook the meat. This allows enough time for the flavors to work into the meat and add great flavor.
When I’m working with a large piece of meat, such as a pork butt, I add the BBQ Spice Rub to the meat the day before I plan to cook it. However, if I’m cooking something smaller, such as boneless, skinless chicken breast, it doesn’t need as much time.
How to Make This BBQ Rub Recipe
This is the best BBQ Rub recipe I have ever tried and over the years, I’ve tried a LOT. This recipe really couldn’t be any easier. It’s really just a matter of combining the various spices and seasonings together.
Expert Tips for Making the Best BBQ Rub
There are a few things you can do to make sure you’re making the best BBQ rub possible:
- Always use fresh spices and seasonings. If a spice or seasoning has been in your pantry for a few years, it’s probably time to get a fresh container.
- You can double (or even triple) the batch. If you’re planning on making a lot of recipes using this homemade seasoning blend, you can easily double the ingredients.
- If you want a finer version of this BBQ rub you can run it through a grinder.
Tools Use to Make the Barbecue Dry Rub Recipe
Measuring Spoons: I love the shape of these because they fit into most smaller spice jars.
Spice Jars: Your seasonings and spices will stay fresher longer in a jar like this.
Spice Grinder: Get the best flavor and the perfect texture by grinding your spices.
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the Homemade Spice Blend Recipes on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Barbecue Dry Rub Recipe
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to a container with a tight fitting lid.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.